Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 5th, 2015 16:00

Re: Alienware M17X

I need help, I have an Alienware M17X that was manufactured in (Mid 2009) and this system came with the standard 2x2GB (total 4GB) memory modules and I've used this computer no more then 20 hours total in the past 5 years and I have kept everything updated on a monthly basis and it came with Windows Vista Home Premium and I upgraded to Windows 7 in 2010. My problem is I bought 2 brand new Dell certified upgrade modules that are 2x4GB because the max memory for this system is 8GB, I installed the new Dell modules and the fan starts up and the keyboard lights up but the screen stays black and the 'Cap' light starts blinking non-stop and the 'Num'  and the other light stay solid and the system won't boot up.... I uninstalled the cards and re-installed them and the same thing happened and then I removed one of the 4GB cards and replaced it with the old 2GB card and the system booted up with no problem giving the system 6GB and then I tried the other 4GB card and that one booted up with no problem with the 2GB card, I have updated the bios and everything is updated and I'm having this problem. If anyone out there can please help me with this and to find out why this is happening and when I bought these new cards I entered my tag number on Dell.com and these are the right memory modules for this system and they are (SNPFYHV1C/4G      

11 Posts

February 6th, 2015 15:00

Update on my issue, Slot 1 will recognize the 4GB modules with the old 2GB in slot 2 but the issue I'm seeing is the slot 2 will not recognize either 4GB module but will recognize the 2GB modules 

671 Posts

February 9th, 2015 10:00

Would it be possible to use the other 2 Ram Slots within the 17" for testing purposes?

As for why the second RAM slot is not recognizing the 4GB Module is a mystery to me.

1 Message

March 16th, 2015 15:00

I'm having a similar issue with my Alienware M17x (Mid 2009). I recently bought the Dell approved ram 2x 4GB but it will only boot with one of the 4GB sticks and one of the old 2GB sticks. It does not seem to matter which slot it occupies. I cant get the system to boot with both 4GB sticks, just get the caps lock flashing. Any help would be much appreciated :)

No Events found!