Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 20th, 2012 07:00

M17x R1 won't boot - black screen - fan turns on, keyboard lights up, nothing on screen.

Hello All,

Newbie here and desperate.

I have a problem with my son's M17x this morning. All was working fine and after some time, the machine switched it self off.  Now it won't even boot - at least I think it won't because there is nothing on the screen as it's blank.

I have tried several things, including trying to switch it on and off with and without a battery of power cable.

I am at a loss as to what could have happened.

Please help.

Smakwam.

15 Posts

January 23rd, 2014 15:00

Baking the gpu is very easy actually, you preset your oven to about 275 degrees cover a cookie sheet with foil and set the card up off of it by rolling 4 balls of foil up and setting them on each corner of the card. you never want to have it laying all directly on the sheet. bake it about 10 minutes then let it cool off before setting back in the laptop. always make sure to take all components off along with the heatsink and any residue from the thermal compound. After baking you ill need to reapply some fresh thermal compound. I utilize artic silver 5. There are some more detailed instructions on this online, along with pictures. You will want to make sure it is your video card before doing this just to be sure. I just had to do it again last week, works like a charm for me every time.

6 Posts

August 20th, 2012 15:00

Im not saying I'm an expert but does the screen's backlight come on? Maybe the screens just faulty? I wonder if you could hook it up to an external monitor to check?

August 21st, 2012 15:00

Hey Smakwam,

Do you hear Windows log in sound if you let it on for a while? It may be video related, but if it's not booting, you can try these steps  to fix it.

Let us know if it worked! 

3 Posts

August 22nd, 2012 05:00

Hi Luis, I've done what you said and the Windows login sound does not happen. I connected it to an external monitor and still no joy. I replaced the video card today and it was the same. I am out of ideas.

3 Posts

August 22nd, 2012 05:00

Hi Jolt_14794 - power is going to the screen as the ALIENWARE blue logo near the keyboard lights up as does the logo on the cover. I've replaced the video card as I though that might be the problem, but still nothing.

August 22nd, 2012 10:00

Can you see the Alienware Logo screen?

1 Message

October 26th, 2012 13:00

Hello, Luis.

I have the very same problem, and here's the rundown.

The power goes through normally to the computer ( As far as I can tell. ) The customized keyboard and ALIENWARE title under the screen is lit up as I customized it, that tells me it's still drawing data from my preferences somehow. The back-light for the screen itself is on, though the alienware head (displayed upon boot-up,) never comes up. The fans fire up every time, then die out after about 2-4 seconds. Also, an external monitor does nothing but say 'No signal.'

It will on the RARE occasion boot like nothing is wrong. By rare, I mean literally sitting here powering it on and off for about a solid hour.

Hope this sheds some light, maybe you can figure out what's wrong, because I sure can't.

Thanks,

~Foxvolt

5 Posts

October 29th, 2012 10:00

I have the exact same issue as Foxvolt. I normally would let it rest for about half an hour then try for about three times before it comes in. Once it is on it works perfectly but i would not dare try to restart or shutdown for then I would have the same problem all over again. I would really like to resolve this issue for this is still a great computer.

October 29th, 2012 13:00

Hey guys, as all are similar issues I'll try to start discarding possibilities. First thing to do would be to run the LCD BIST. Hold down the "D" key and turn on your computer. The BIST should start running after a few beeps, this is a basic non-software dependent test for the LCD.

How to run LCD BIST

5 Posts

October 30th, 2012 07:00

I tried as you suggested but I could not get that screen to appear. The problem is that when i hold down D, the fans spin for a longer period of time but the screen does not come up, Their is a notable difference in time that the fans stay on when i just press the power button (shorter period) and when i press both the D and power button (longer period).

I tried all night long but was unable to start my laptop. This morning i woke up and pressed the power button and the laptop came on the first try. I know that if I restart or shutdown down the computer, it would not boot up.

I also discovered that what i thought was the backlight of the screen was actually a reflection of the keyboard lights. when i press the power button, the alienware head does not appear on the screen and if I leave it on, i do not have any normal boot up sound (no sound at all) so I know that it does not enter windows for I do not have a password to enter windows. It enters automatically, Also the eyes on the alienware head on the keyboard does not flash so it is not reading from the hard drive.

Is there something that would prevent the bios from booting up?

5 Posts

November 2nd, 2012 20:00

Does anybody have any ideas?

November 5th, 2012 11:00

Send us an email at AWsocialmedia@dell.com with your service tag, phone number and a link to this thread. We'll review your case and set up a callback for one of our techs to help you out.

5 Posts

December 8th, 2012 03:00

Has anybody resolved this issue? Please I need all the help I can get.

1 Message

August 5th, 2013 13:00

Hello-

I'm having the same problem as smakwam ~~

(I have a problem with my M17x this morning. All was working fine and after some time, the machine switched it self off.  Now it won't even boot - at least I think it won't because there is nothing on the screen as it's blank.I have tried several things, including trying to switch it on and off with and without a battery of power cable.I am at a loss as to what could have happened.)

Did anything on your end get resolved and if so how?

It's just so sad that something that costs us so much is this horrible. From day one I have had problems with this laptop and the battery not charging correctly.  You would have to remove it and put it back in- then it would start excepting a charge. And if you actually carried the laptop places you constantly have to rinse and repeat any chance you got in hope you would mantain a charge while plugged in.  The company is completely aware and service call after service call they still had no hotfixes or solutions except continue removing battery and putting it back in. Joy. They discouaged me from returning the laptop saying the tech department is working on it. That is was a software issue and an update would be available soon.  Cough* that never happened.

So now there is this problem. Keys are lite so pretty but nothing on the screen.  (just black)  Good times.

Best regards,

Pretty1458

15 Posts

October 6th, 2013 21:00

I'm having the same issue. My screen just does not come on. Is there any fix for this yet? seems to be a major defect.

No Events found!