Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 3rd, 2013 10:00

M17X-R1 Graphics Card Problem

I have an Alienware M17X-R1 and over the weekend I was playing Star Wars: The Old Republic when my game became stuck, pixelated, and then went to blue screen:

I have scoured Google for a solution and have tried everything I have seen posted but nothing works. My system operates fine in integrated mode but once I enable my 260m card the screen goes black and the caps and number lock indicators start blinking and I'll have to do a hard reset to get back into integrated mode. According to my device manager I only have a single 260m. Would it be possible for me to upgrade to (2) 280m cards? I may have found a used set but I'm worried about wasting $300 compared to buying a new system.

763 Posts

null_zps0ebbcc76.jpg

Try removing the NVIDIA drivers and see if the problem continues to occur. You may have only a display driver corruption problem. Although, hardware defects can also be the cause. You're going to have to do some troubleshooting to isolate the cause.

763 Posts

See if you can remove your primary GPU and move the secondary GPU to the primary PCE-e slot. Not sure if the M17xR1 will work in that configuration, but it would allow you to continue functioning if it does. It is unlikely have both video cards have gone bonkers simultaneously. If you can verify which video card is bad, you would only need to replace that one.

You might be better off spending money on something substantially newer and more powerful as a GPU upgrade, even if only one is installed. GTX 580M or 680M would be better than 280M. Check in the M17x forum at NBR or Tech|Inferno forum and you may find examples and advice from other M17xR1 owners. 

10 Posts

I have removed the drivers and reinstalled them. I have even performed a complete factory reset and the problem still persists.

10 Posts

I only have 1 video card, the 260m. When my computer is in integrated graphics mode there are no problems other than I cannot play my games. When I enable the 260m card, the system crashes. Since my computer is 4 years old I'm having trouble finding a new 260 card. I need to know if there is a card out there that is a replacement to my 260m AND is compatible with my m17x-r1? I have the Intel Core Duo processor.

1.2K Posts

well  the 280M will work without a doubt but 2 you will nneed to get the higer 230 watt PSU as I believe single cards came with a 193 watt adaptor.. been awhile since I had my M17x R1 ....

u can also go the amd route  with 3870/4870/ and prolly a 5870 but I would  google this first

10 Posts

null_zps0ebbcc76.jpg

10 Posts

September 3rd, 2013 12:00

well  the 280M will work without a doubt but 2 you will nneed to get the higer 230 watt PSU as I believe single cards came with a 193 watt adaptor.. been awhile since I had my M17x R1 ....

u can also go the amd route  with 3870/4870/ and prolly a 5870 but I would  google this first

I called Alienware and the tech said that my system was designed for 2 cards so I wouldn't need a higher watt adapter but I would need a bridge. I asked what a bridge was and he said the piece of metal that holds the 2 cards together. He told me to go watch a video of an m17x being disassembled and I would see what he was talking about. Does any of this sound right? I've tried to search Google for m17x bridge and so far have found nothing.

1.2K Posts

September 3rd, 2013 13:00

yes system was design for   dual cards.. but they shipped a lower rated psu with a single gpu... and a higher rated  for  dual gpu ...  since it neede dmore power  BEEN there done that  support don't know a thing  ..  I owned a R1 and they sent me a 193 watt(lower psu) when my adapter failed and   system refused to post  I removed one card and it ran fine.. till I got  the proper  adapter..

my dealigns with the M17x R1 and R2's were horride at   best , recently bought a M18X R2 and same thing applied one gpu has 240 watts psu and dual came  with the 330 watt ..... I  think the person you talked with got  confused with the M17x R3/4 adaptor since there was only one  single  its only single gpu...

the bridge they referiing to   is   probably the  xfire or   nvida sli cable that goes from one card  to the other.. its a cable ...  kinda like a thin small floppy cable that plugs into both cards

10 Posts

September 3rd, 2013 17:00

I looked up the part number for my power adapter (J938H) and it is listed as the 240 watt power adapter. That will be okay to use with 2 x 260m cards correct?

1.2K Posts

September 3rd, 2013 18:00

somereason I cant edit  above post...

you can look in bios and it will list your power adaptor wattage there as a double check.. I had  isssues with dell and part numbers...  they saying it was a 240 and bios saying it was 193...

sorry if I said   it was 230....  I couldn't remember  exact been awhile

1.2K Posts

I think  the  guy is  on crack.. the cards are mounted  on opposite sides  of the board and connected by a cable.. they both go into a PCI-E SLOT ON THE BOARD....  then  are mounted to the board with a  mounting  plate and   a heatsink ontop ....  ...  I know   mine was torn down enough :O

and yea its the 240 its beene awhile...  you should  have recived the smaller psu with your system...

10 Posts

yes system was design for   dual cards.. but they shipped a lower rated psu with a single gpu... and a higher rated  for  dual gpu ...  since it neede dmore power  BEEN there done that  support don't know a thing  ..  I owned a R1 and they sent me a 193 watt(lower psu) when my adapter failed and   system refused to post  I removed one card and it ran fine.. till I got  the proper  adapter..

my dealigns with the M17x R1 and R2's were horride at   best , recently bought a M18X R2 and same thing applied one gpu has 240 watts psu and dual came  with the 330 watt ..... I  think the person you talked with got  confused with the M17x R3/4 adaptor since there was only one  single  its only single gpu...

the bridge they referiing to   is   probably the  xfire or   nvida sli cable that goes from one card  to the other.. its a cable ...  kinda like a thin small floppy cable that plugs into both cards

I looked up the part number for my power adapter (J938H) and it is listed as the 240 watt power adapter. That will be okay to use with 2 x 260m cards correct? As far as the "bridge" goes, I asked if he meant the cable that connects the 2 cards and he said no, it's a piece of metal that mounts them together. I've watched the videos of the m17x-r1 being torn down and not in any of them did  I see anything like what he is talking about.

10 Posts

September 8th, 2013 16:00

I was able to find 2 GTX260m cards for my m17x-r1. I originally only have 1 card but I am going to go ahead and install a 2nd card while I've got it open. I ordered all the parts to do it but I was just re-reading the instructions and I noticed it said remove the support bracket that holds the card in. My question is: Will there be a support bracket on the right side if it did not come with a right side card?

No Events found!