Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 25th, 2017 07:00

Aurora R6 selected boot device failed

Yesterday I did a fresh install of Windows 10 (with creators update) on the m.2 nvme drive in my Aurora R6. Before the installation I changed the SATA mode from 'RAID on' to 'AHCI', because I want to run Linux on a 2.5 inch ssd. The installation of windows 10 went well and after the installation I installed the latest updates and driver software (from Dell).
After shutting down and rebooting I now get the following message (just after the Alienware logo):
Selected boot device failed

'Window boot manager' is the first option in the UEFI boot order and manually selecting 'windows boot manager' in the one-time boot menu results in the same error message.

Interestingly I can still boot windows 10 by using the installation media:
On boot press F12 -> installation USB -> recovery -> continue to windows

I did not expect that changing the SATA mode to AHCI would effect a pcie nvme ssd.

Online I found some suggestions including registry fixes and booting in safe mode, but no success, I still get the boot device failed message when booting normally.

Some BIOS information:
Version 1.0.4
UEFI with secure boot disabled
SATA mode: AHCI

Does anyone have any experience with booting windows 10 from a m.2 nvme ssd with SATA mode set to AHCI? Is it a driver issue or is this not supported by the BIOS or mobo or something else?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

April 25th, 2017 09:00

Hi ‌,

Send me a private message with the service tag, so I can assist you further.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 25th, 2017 12:00

Let me just throw some stuff out here in case you haven't read it.

First, NO ... my options on my working Aurora-R6 are not set like that:

https://community.dell.com/thread/19729

And it's definitely working because it boots fine and can do 3051/1633 r/w transfers.

For initial setup, I think it helps to have only the one SSD connected. I feel it helps insure that the main boot record ends up on it.

With new Win-10/64bit Creators Edition ... on new machines (capable of the features) I think it really wants you to run UEFI/SecureBoot and a GPT disk. I don't think all those are required but some might be. Also, switching an option off in BIOS might not help it ignore it (especially if in UEFI mode).

Finally, I don't run Linux, but I thought the popular ones worked with SecureBoot = ON now-days.

4 Posts

May 2nd, 2017 10:00

I'm having a similar problem when I try to boot my system to ubuntu.
I've tried different combinations (legacy/uefi bootloaders, security on/off and sata raid/acpi) but i couldn't find any way to boot linux. I'm having 'Selected boot device failed. Press any key to reboot system.' error

Is there any working linux configuration for R6? And also where can I get help from? 

Thanks a lot.

4 Posts

May 2nd, 2017 12:00

I also have tried a lot of things, but I am still unable to boot windows on the m.2 ssd when SATA operation is set to 'AHCI'.
I noticed that in 'RAID on' mode it shows on the 'Main' page of the BIOS:
M.2 PCIe SSD PC300 NVMe SK hynix 512GB-(S4) 512GB

while in 'AHCI' mode it shows:
M.2 PCIe SSD PC300 NVMe SK hynix 512GB-(S0) 0GB

This seems to indicate that it is a UEFI BIOS issue/bug, motherboard incompatibility or maybe even a SSD firmware issue.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 2nd, 2017 12:00

I have never tried to install Linux Ubuntu or otherwise boot it (with Live-DVD/USB-Flash) ... on my Aurora-R6.

However, I do remember this post from a few days ago ...

https://community.dell.com/message/128858-alienware-aurora-r6-booting-linux-on-pcie-m2

And as I've posted before ... the Aurora-R6's PCIe-NVMe "on-motherboard" M.2-SSD really prefers that BIOS setting left set to RAID. I'm not sure why, but I know it works (with Windows-10 anyway).

Does the Ubuntu Live-DVD/USB-Flash ... boot and work on your Aurora-R6?

4 Posts

May 2nd, 2017 13:00

Yes. Boot from usb (for linux) works fine with both raid/acpi configuration but installation is only possible when it's set to acpi since HW raid is not supported by linux kernel.

In this case (I didn't try but probably) I will be able to install bootloader for installed linux to a usb drive.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 2nd, 2017 14:00

waLLkie wrote:

Yes. Boot from usb (for linux) works fine with both raid/acpi configuration

Ok. good. I just wanted to make sure it ran on this hardware. So, you just have a drive or install problem.

4 Posts

May 2nd, 2017 14:00

Linux (more specifically ubuntu server 16.04.2) installation succeeds but grub2 bootloader (tried both uefi and legacy) is not recognised by system. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 2nd, 2017 15:00

poeh wrote:

while in 'AHCI' mode it shows:
M.2 PCIe SSD PC300 NVMe SK hynix 512GB-(S0) 0GB

Good catch.

You know what I've been wondering about ? ... The RAID/AHCI setting should really only apply to SATA drives (not NVMe drives like the M.2 in the PCIe-slot on the motherboard).

From my notes ...

SATA or PCIe interface and finally
AHCI or NVMe protocol.

Most older M.2 SSDs are SATA (most using AHCI, but I think RAID protocol is also possible)
Most newer M.2 SSDs are PCIe (using NVMe protocol)

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 4th, 2017 21:00

4 Posts

May 5th, 2017 05:00

apparently R6 bios is unable to load bootloader from nvme drive when sata operation is set as AHCI.
the only way is to put EFI (or legacy) bootloader to non nvme drive. So if you create an EFI partition in your spinning drive and install Linux bootloader there, bootloader will successfully load it. In my case I also put rootfs to spinning drive and mounted ssd as /home after kernel load. 

8 Posts

May 12th, 2017 20:00

This Aurora R6 "can't boot with AHCI if you have an NVMe drive" issue is driving me crazy. I have an Aurora R6 with an SSD that I boot Windows from, and a separate HDD that I've successfully installed Ubuntu on (with a separate EFI partition and bootloader on the HDD, as waLLkie suggested).

Unfortunately, if I try to boot into Ubuntu with AHCI on, I immediately get a boot failure, so I'm forced to switch to "RAID on" mode in the BIOS. Now I can get to the GRUB screen and select Ubuntu, but it can't see the HDD (I assume it requires the AHCI setting?), and the boot fails with "gave up waiting for root device".

I'm at my wit's end, so if anyone has actually figured out how to dual boot Linux on an Aurora R6, please let me know! Again, I successfully installed Ubuntu on my HDD, it's just that Ubuntu can't see the HDD when I boot in "RAID on" mode ... I think!

I wonder if one solution would be to simply unplug the SSD ... then presumably you could turn this AHCI setting on and not have the boot fail. But that's not exactly convenient!

PS: Apologies if I got any of the terminology wrong ... this is my first attempt at dual booting ...

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 12th, 2017 22:00

See above. I think poeh‌ identified the problem.

When the Aurora-R6 is in AHCI mode, the M.2 NVMe SSD is seen as 0gb (zero gigabytes) in size. You can't install ANYTHING to a 0gb disk.   Even I know that.

Seems it's broken somehow. I have recently reported it to Alienware Engineering. You will have to contact them about status of a fix (I'm thinking it might be in the form of a BIOS or firmware update).

8 Posts

May 12th, 2017 23:00

That makes sense! In the meantime I guess I can just run Tensorflow on Windows

It would be great to get guidance from the Dell folks on this. Hopefully not too hard a fix (especially since the Aurora R5 didn't have this problem)

8 Posts

May 12th, 2017 23:00

By the way, I'm also seeing the NVMe SSD at 0GB when I switch to AHCI mode.

No Events found!