Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 20th, 2016 05:00

Alienware Aurora R5 - GTX 1080 Running on PCIe X8 versus PCIe X16 Performance Issue

I just received my new Alienware Aurora R5 and after discovering a very slow graphics card issue, I started to investigate what was causing the GTX 1080  to run slower than my older GTX 970  on a Sandy Bridge machine.

I'm finding that my GTX 1080 Card is running at PCIe X8 versus the PCIe X16 that it should be running on. Has anyone else found that this is an issue as the card is running very slow? Could it be caused by the 512GB M.2 PCIe SSD Drive?

After extensive searching in the Bios, I do not see where I can make any adjustments to get the card running on PCIe X16. Call Dell tech - they state that this is definitely a performance issue and that the engineers will need to investigate.

So, my purchase included the i7-6700K, Win 10 Pro, 850 Watt PS with liquid cooling. It also has the Nvidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition, 32 GB Ram and the 512GB M.2 PCIe SSD drive with a 1TB Storage Drive.

GPU-Z.jpg

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

December 20th, 2016 14:00

Hi,

Send me a private message with the service tag so I can assist you further.

35 Posts

December 21st, 2016 03:00

Alienware-Eimy,

Thanks for your quick reply. I have submitted for assistance as this has been considered an engineering issue. Waiting for Tech Service to get back to me. I will let you know if they cannot get this issue resolved.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

December 21st, 2016 12:00

Ok, perfect.

35 Posts

December 22nd, 2016 10:00

Alienware-Eimy,

This is the response that I received. Now my question is: if I go buy a SATA 2 1/2" SSD, how can I transfer the drive info from one to the other without Alienware Respawn available? Will I need to image the M.2 SSD and use that image to get the 2 1/2" SSD up and running and what is this going to do to my warranty?

I have an response from the engineering department.

The issue is due to you have on your system and PCIe M.2 SSD of 512 GB.

When you have this type of setup on your PC, the system will decrease the PCIe speed lines on your computer,that  the reason why your video card is not running at PCIe x16.

In this scenario the best option will be to change the PCIe SSD of 512 GB to 2.5" SSD of 512GB.

That 2.5" SSD can be connected to the 3.5" HDD bay on the system and it will fix the issue.

No Events found!