Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

May 11th, 2017 01:00

Alienware 17 R4 discharging under heavy graphic load (180w Adapter)

My Alienware 17 R4 bought last week has an i7- 7700HQ, nVidia 1060 and a 68Whr battery, and I've received a 180W Power Adapter along with the machine. While gaming or when the machine is under similar heavy CPU intensive+Graphic load, the battery will start discharging even while being plugged in and start charging again when I quit the application, leaving me with less battery. This is counter-intuitive, highly undesirable and is not acceptable for the bucks I spent on getting an Alienware. I have tried plugging it into different standalone wall outlets and it hasn't made a difference. 

Can you please ship out a 240W charger or take whatever is the best course of action as soon as possible to address this issue? Amongst the long list of issues I've been facing ever since I got my first Alienware - The poor Killer 1435 connection dropping performance, the unavailability of an Alienware OEM Windows 10 Recovery and the misleading information I was given about the DUSB being Alienware OEM (which basically just wiped my secondary SSD without my permission and still ended up installing the generic Windows 10), this battery issue by far has to be the worst. I'd be happy to return the 180W Charger for a better one if that helps fix it. Thank you.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

May 11th, 2017 08:00

Hi, 

I just replied to you in a PM regarding your case.  

21 Posts

May 22nd, 2017 15:00

Like I messaged you, sending it for repairs and replacing the adapter with another 180w didn't help.

https://na.alienwarearena.com/ucf/show/223758/boards/technical-support-1/ForumPost/alienware-15-loses-battery-charge-und… 

Maybe the same solution of replacing with a 240w adapter can help in my case? I've barely used the laptop for a week and a half, and that too plugged in 99% of the time, and I have 4% battery wear? That feels abnormally high.

Tesla1856: Are you aware of a battery problem like this?

No Events found!