Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 31st, 2016 16:00

Alienware 15 Won't Turn On

Hi there, I need help with my Alienware system. Below are the details.

I have an AW15 i7 980m that I upgraded to Windows 10 last week. Since then I've been getting multiple blue screen crashes even after updating drivers and stuff. The only thing I didn't update was the BIOS and the Killer network drivers.

The laptop was getting incredibly hot and the fans were spinning louder than usual during gaming after the Win10 upgrade. During a gaming session today, the laptop just turned off. The external speakers I had connected to the laptop that is powered on the same strip as the AW15's power adapter made a boom noise, but remained turned on. The laptop was very hot to the touch. After letting it cool down, I unplugged everything connected to it and tried to turn it on using battery power but it would not start.

The power adapter was also doing something funny. Before plugging it in, the yellow light on the brick would show but when plugged in it disappears. The second time I did this, there was a sound in the power jack hole followed by this sharp electrical smell. Dismayed, I decided to follow AW’s no power troubleshoot and removed the back panel, remove the battery cable and touch the CLRP1 pins. It still won’t turn on.

Any clues as to what the issue is and if there is anything I can do to solve this would be extremely helpful and appreciated.

Some additional information if it helps.

-          The laptop is a year and 2 months old

-          It came with an 180w power adapter, but a google search suggested that for the 980m I should have been using a 240w power adaptor.

-          No heating issues/fan noise issues/crashes before Win 10 upgrade

-          The power adapter is connected to the same power strip that powers speakers, an external monitor and another laptop. The strip is also connected to the main power that supplies the air conditioning unit in the room.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 1st, 2016 12:00

Hello,

It sounds like a possible motherboard failure. You can try doing a power drain first. To perform a power drain, follow the steps below.

• Turn the system off and disconnect the power cord. 
  • Disconnect all external devices (mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc)
  • Press and hold the power button for 1 minute.
  • Connect everything again and turn on the system.

You can try battery only, AC adapter only, both at the same time.

If the issue remains, please send me your service tag through a personal message.

2 Posts

June 1st, 2016 12:00

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your reply. I have sent you a pm.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 1st, 2016 15:00

Thank you!

20 Posts

June 2nd, 2016 04:00

Adrian T please report here if there is any progress in your case. Thank you

No Events found!