Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 31st, 2018 15:00

Bluescreening with nvlddmkm.sys

I am using an Area 51 R2 with Win 10 x64 version 1607 and dual 1080 SLI. 

My computer has started bluescreening with the stop code :"DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL what failed nvlddmkm.sys"

This happens anytime I do something that hits the video card such as opening a Unity editor and tumbling around a simple model. I did not add new hardware or software to my system other than an oculus. These are the trouble shooting steps I have tried so far.

1. I uninstalled and removed the oculus, rebooted, did not work.
  2. Rolled back the video card driver 6 months, rebooted, did not work.
  3. Replaced nvlddmkm.sys, rebooted, did not work.
  4. Started in safe mode removed all nvlddmkm.sys files, used nvlddmkm.sy_ file to generate new .sys files, rebooted, did not work.
  5. Uninstalled Unity, rebooted, installed older 2017 version, did not work, tried reinstalling new version, did not work.
  6. removed quicktime, rebooted, did not work.
  7. tested memory, no errors found, rebooted, did not work.
  8. chkdisk the boot drive, no errors found, rebooted, did not work.
  9. turned off "fast startup" , rebooted, did not work.
  10. removed nivida experience, all video card drivers reinstalled with clean install, rebooted, did not work.
  11. reinstalled windows, rebooted, did not work.
  12. Set the Nvidia Control Panel to * Ambient Occlussion - OFF * Power Management Mode - Prefer Maximum Performance * Threaded Optimization - ON * Triple Buffering - OFF * Vertical Sync - OFF, rebooted, did not work.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 31st, 2018 18:00

If you can, keep system minimal (Oculus uninstalled, etc.) until it's working. Keep working toward leaner and basic.

Another thing I would try is turning off SLI (and/or removing the SLI bridge). 

Try a clean-install of this exact Nvidia driver.

https://dell.com/community/Alienware-General/Aurora-R6-Hard-Lockup-and-crash-while-gaming-SOLVED/td-p/5504111

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 8th, 2018 09:00

@xrezgreg wrote:

Nvidia v378.78 03-09-2017 version of the driver is holding with SLI Enabled. Thank you, this fixed the problem!

Great.

Like I ask of everyone that uses this magical Nvidia driver to cure strange problems ... if you ever find a newer release that is as rock-solid as this one, please let us know here in the forum.

August 1st, 2018 10:00

Wow Tesla1856, I think that the SLI might be it! I have been up for an hour without a crash since turning SLI off. I'll report back if it holds through a day of working on it. Thanks so much for your help, I was pulling out my hair on this one.

Of course no my problem now is to try to figure out how to get SLI working again. I have tried reseating the cards and bridge in my previous troubleshooting efforts. Perhaps I should post this to an Nvidia forum.

August 1st, 2018 16:00

Ok, I'll mark this as solved. I the fix of turning off SLI is holding, I cross posted this to the Nvidia forum to see if anyone has ideas on how to get SLI to work again without bluescreening (as that is kind of the point of the configuration) but at least I can work until I figure out that fix.

I didn't see reference to a video card driver in the post you mentioned, it spoke about an SSD driver.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 1st, 2018 18:00

@gregdowning wrote:

1. I the fix of turning off SLI is holding,

2. I cross posted this to the Nvidia forum to see if anyone has ideas on how to get SLI to work again without bluescreening (as that is kind of the point of the configuration) but at least I can work until I figure out that fix.

3. I didn't see reference to a video card driver in the post you mentioned, it spoke about an SSD driver.

1. Great

2. Good idea. I don't know much about SLI other than the cards should match exactly if possible.

3. It was the solution here.

https://dell.com/community/Alienware-General/Aurora-R6-Hard-Lockup-and-crash-while-gaming-SOLVED/m-p/5504128/highlight/true#M6104

The Nvidia v378.78 03-09-2017 WHQL Driver proved to be very stable (see OCCT and after-a-month toward end of thread). In fact, still running it. There was another Nvidia thread where the user was having a lot of problems with games, and IIRC, this old driver also worked wonders for him.

Keep up posted on SLI issue here if you want.

1 Message

August 8th, 2018 07:00

Nvidia v378.78 03-09-2017 version of the driver is holding with SLI Enabled. Thank you, this fixed the problem!

August 8th, 2018 10:00

will do!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 8th, 2018 12:00

@gregdowning wrote:

will do!

Oh, so the "Nvidia v378.78 03-09-2017 WHQL Driver" helped with your problem also?

Do you still have to keep SLI-Disabled to run Unity Editor ?

August 8th, 2018 14:00

No, why?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@gregdowning wrote:

No, why?

Because they can't C#  :Smile:

yes, the driver allows me to run the Unity Editor and have SLI enabled at the same time.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@gregdowning wrote:

yes, the driver allows me to run the Unity Editor and have SLI enabled at the same time.

Nice.  :Yes:

Hey, do you know why Java developers need to wear glasses?

August 8th, 2018 16:00

Hahahaa!

No Events found!