Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

26 Posts

March 12th, 2019 16:00

Aurora R8, BSOD, due to xboxgip.sys (Xbox Controller)

I use my Xbox controller either with the Xbox Wireless Adapter or Plugging directly into a USB port with a cable.

It used to work flawlessly, but as of today, when ever I plug in the controller, I get a BSOD of PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, what failed :- xboxgip.sys

I cant uninstall these system files, nor can i delete them and try to get a working version (in case it is corrupted somehow)

I have deleted all references to Xbox Controller and Wireless adapter in device manager, rebooted and tried again. I still BSOD. I have not installed any new hardware recently or had any other problems.

Any help would be appreciated. (I've searched the webs and this seems to be a common problem, but I can't find any working solutions).

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 12th, 2019 19:00

Not alone with problem, but no solution:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/all/xboxgipsys-causes-irqlnotlessorequal-bsod-on/8f231367-02e8-466a-988c-3b71a9823497?auth=1

So, get all old stuff deleted and clean-install proper driver.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/636533/constant-bsod-related-to-xbox-one-controller/

What eventually worked is I opened Device Manager and pressed 'Show hidden devices' in View menu.

Also, not a Dell/Alienware problem, but instead ... Windows/Microsoft.

26 Posts

March 12th, 2019 19:00

I've been adding and removing "devices" all night, to no avail so far. I don't get what the issue is (seemingly like many others out there)

It WAS working, then I got a BSOD and from that point on, as soon as I plug in the controller it will BSOD or try reinstall drivers, then BSOD.

I've even replaced the xboxgip.sys file and that doesn't work either.

I am currently doing a restore from a couple days ago, to see if that will fix anything.

If that doesn't work, I guess it's time to do a full re-install of windows. (I've never done that on a Dell before, I assume it's pretty standard)

One of the most fun problems, is now there is no driver for Xbox Controllers to download, the driver is built in to windows, so if that driver gets **bleep**, I have no clue on how to fix it with a download.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 12th, 2019 20:00

@Rince_X wrote:

1. I've been adding and removing "devices" all night, to no avail so far. I don't get what the issue is (seemingly like many others out there)

2. I've even replaced the xboxgip.sys file and that doesn't work either.

1. Yeah, but did you  'Show hidden devices' in View menu of Device Manager ?

2. No, that's not right. At minimum, it would be something like:

- Disconnect problem device
- Show hidden devices in View menu of Device Manager
- Delete the bad pieces
- Check for no traces in "Devices and Printers" either
- Reboot
- Make sure they are all still gone
- Be sure you are connected to internet
- Connect device (to load proper driver)

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 13th, 2019 08:00

xboxgip.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for mt7612US.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for qca11adx.sys

Third Party Drivers

mt7612US.sys - Xbox Wireless Adapter

First to get the Windows 10 driver for the Xbox One Wireless Adapter I went to http://catalog.update.microsoft.com using Internet Explorer (as this is the only browser supported for catalog).

There are currently 4 drivers listed for the adapter:

If you download them all you'll get:

AMD64-all-20794329_7c5e465b064827612d9289d3c9a26d818f2bcfdc.cab (DriverVer=10/17/2015,20.24.34.491)

AMD64-en-20770008_a4e687fb93fcb19c1bc067d8a51f1c1c32d2c574.cab (DriverVer=08/26/2015,19.29.20.953)

X86-all-20794332_ff018bd1c603d942fb276b19d821b91d2cf9f5fa.cab (DriverVer=10/20/2015,19.53.40.791)

X86-en-20770009_49cb8693fbfbabcf9d62691c771f3661c6caa6f5.cab (DriverVer=08/26/2015,19.16.17.976)

402 Posts

March 13th, 2019 08:00

Did Windows Update install any system or driver updates on your machine recently?

Are you part of the Windows Insider group with access to beta builds of Windows 10?

I ask because sometimes an update can bork something up.  If you had a recent update, you can try rolling the update back to see if it fixes the issue.

I too use an Xbox controller with my R7.  I used to connect via USB but recently acquired the dongle which allows for a wireless connection.  So far, still working OK.

26 Posts

March 13th, 2019 15:00

I literally tried everything out there guys, showing hidden devices, removing everything, blah blah.

I even replace xboxgip.sys from my working R4 onto the 2 locations I could find it on my R8 (drivers and storedriver) in case that file had somehow got corrupted and was reinstalling a busted sys file, every time I reinstalled my controller. It made no difference lol.

The only update I see that's close to the time of this nightmare, is an update to Microsoft Hololens (which technically probably also uses an Xbox control scheme) which could have broken something. That update happened a few days ago though and like I said, I had been using the controller all morning playing AC Odssesy, then come the afternoon, turn on controller and BAM . . . every time, BSOD.

I also had successfully installed and used several times, the windows wireless adapter, but mainly used the Xbox controller via cable connection.

I ended up doing a full factory re-install (which I add, worked flawlessly and was very fast) and everything is working as it did, controller and all.

Clearly . . . there is a problem with BSOD and using an Xbox controller, Clearly it doesn't happen to everyone, or even that often, but when it does, there are no 100% working methods of rectifying. I have currently chosen NOT to install the wireless adapter and will run via cables for now.

I also have had zero problems on my Alienware R4, running the same version of windows and using the Xbox controller (I never did get round to installing the wireless adapter on my R4)

Hopefully . . . . it's such a rare problem, I won't get struck by lightening twice !!!!

No Events found!