Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 7th, 2018 09:00

XPS 15 9560, Shut down everytime I close the lid without power plugged-in

Hi, 

I have used by 9560 for about one week. I found a problem that everytime when I unplug the computer and use the battery, the laptop will shut down if its lid is closed. That is not good.. 

I tested, if I keep the power adapter plugged in, it works well (does not shut down when lid is closed). 

I have already tried to update the bios, it does not work. 

I also checked the control panel for the battery option ( what to do when lid is closed), no luck.. 

Any thoughts? 

Thank you in advance. 

Xinran

4 Posts

February 13th, 2019 08:00

SOLUTION

I finally managed to solve it by following this post: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/659069-xps-15-9550-sleephibernate-issues-potential-solved/

Quote:

"

So, my tentative solution that seems to work so far is: toggling certain BIOS settings on and off. I know it sounds downright idiotic, but I swear it seemed to work from what I've tested so far.

Specifically, I either turned settings off and/or selected a different option for a setting, applied it, then set it back and applied it. The settings I toggled back and forth were:

- System Configuration > Touchscreen (Toggled Off, then back On)

- Power Management > Auto On Time (Switched it to a different option, then back to Disabled)

- Power Management > Wake on Dell USB-C Docks (Toggled Off, then On)

"

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

May 7th, 2018 09:00

First please clarify whether it goes into hibernation or full shutdown.  The easiest way to test this is to open something like Notepad, enter some text, then do NOT save the file and close the lid.  When you power the system back on, is your Notepad file still open or do you have to log back into Windows as if you just started the system from full shutdown?

If your system is hibernating, you should be able to disable that in Power Options?  Note that by default, the system will go to regular sleep when the lid is closed, but if it stays closed for 3 hours, it will switch to hibernation.  If the system is completely shutting down, I had a problem like that with my XPS 13 9350 where closing the lid would cause it to cut all power to the system rather than going to sleep and staying that way.  It occurred after a BIOS flash even though the system said it flashed successfully.  After messing around with settings and not getting anywhere, I finally decided to just reflash the exact same BIOS I had previously installed.  I didn't expect it to work, but I figured it was worth 2 minutes before resorting to wiping the whole system and reinstalling Windows from scratch.  As it happened, reflashing the same release solved the issue.

1 Message

August 1st, 2018 08:00

I have this exact problem. Whenever I close my lid, the laptop shuts down entirely (not sleeping or hibernating) resulting in lost work! I think this started happening after a BIOS update. My currently installed version is https://www.dell.com/support/home/se/sv/sebsdt1/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=HJKH8

Its not something In my own settings as Windows power settings is set to only sleep whenever the lid is closed. 

1 Message

August 25th, 2018 16:00

I have exactly the same problem! PLEASE FIX IT! This is utterly useless - a laptop that won't sleep properly when unplugged! We all seem to have the correct "sleep" settings applied - seems it must be at a bios level.........

1 Message

September 5th, 2018 04:00

I have the same problem on my XPS 15 9570. Dell, please fix this!

14 Posts

September 13th, 2018 18:00

Same symptom for XPS 9550 with 1.8.0 BIOS. Problem is gone after downgrade to 1.7.0. I'm hesitant to try upgrade again, but the 'Dell Update' notification is on prompting me every 2 hours to upgrade.

My suggestion is to downgrade one minor level from the problematic BIOS version. Wait for a major Windows update then reinstall the BIOS to the suggested level; or skip one update cycle of the BIOS. As a 3 yr users of 9550, this BIOS upgrade causing close-lid-then-shut-down have had happened a few times to me. 

3 Posts

September 26th, 2018 00:00

FYI: Confirming my 9550 had this issue after upgrading to 1.8.0. Downgrading to 1.7.0 resolved it. Shame on Dell - no even basic QA performed. :Angry:

3 Posts

December 18th, 2018 00:00

Same issue with my 9550.

Resolved by re-installing the same bios 1.9 !  

1 Message

December 18th, 2018 07:00

I had the same issue with my XPS 13 (9350) running Ubunutu 8.10. I was able to resolve it by updating my kernel using the instructions in this article: https://www.linode.com/docs/platform/update-kernel/

3 Posts

December 31st, 2018 05:00

The problem come back :( i try to downgrade to 1.70 now, we will see...

1 Message

January 17th, 2019 14:00

Dell Update, Service Tag , installed on 1/15/2019 and now this problem is back. Crashed while shut on battery four times in four days. This issue has plagued this laptop since I got it 18 months ago. Seems it might be related to the NIC and installing driver updates from Killer software sometimes seems to resolve it...until some new 'update' comes along and causes the borfin to schlump again. Such a fundamental flaw, it's very frustrating. Is this how Dell wants it's customers to feel about its products?

1 Message

January 31st, 2019 00:00

Wow!  I have the same problem with my xps 15 9550 with the latest bios.  They got to be kidding us!

Dell, do your job and fix it.  I wouldn't buy a car that will not start again without a jumpstart so why do they do this?

ASUS next pc.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

January 31st, 2019 07:00

Hi richmun,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Your post does not indicate if you've been able to perform a system diagnostics yet.  Please run Dell SupportAssist, make a note of any error messages encountered and post back.

If you don't see any errors, then perhaps re-installing the drivers may be helpful.  It is suggested that you update your chipset drivers and BIOS. 
I recommend you update the most critical ones: BIOS, Chipset, Display Driver, and Network.

If that does not work, I recommend you try two things: 

First: Boot to the Windows 10 desktop 
Press Windows key + X 
Click Device Manager 
Expand Batteries 
Right-click Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System. 
Choose Update Driver Software. 
Make sure you are connected to the Internet, then check for updates. 
When that completes, restart the system and then check if you can sleep and wake. 

If you are still having difficulties and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service call -

4 Posts

February 7th, 2019 23:00

Same problem with my 9560, started occuring this week. Please fix this issue! I've run the Diagnostics available on the F12 menu, it could not detect any errors. I run all the latest update accord to the Dell Update application. This error made some of my Note taking application's files go corrupt so I am now missing important notes from work! Please fix this problem asap!

1 Message

February 16th, 2019 15:00

Yeah, this surprisingly worked. Thanks

No Events found!