Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 5th, 2018 22:00

XPS 13 9370, fingerprint not working

Hello,

The fingerprint on my laptop was working flawlessly until some major update of windows. Now I cannot setup the fingerprint again.

The last Goodix driver Version 2.1.31.300 is installed but when I try to setup the fingerprint at the moment where it says "Touch the fingerprint sensor, Repeatedly lift and rest your finger on the sensor until setup is complete" and put the finger on the sensor nothing happens. So it seems the fingerprint sensor is not working. On the BIOS V1.4 I checked that the biometric device is enabled.

Does anybody know how I can fix this?

Thanks in advance,

Philippe

5 Posts

August 26th, 2018 00:00

Have you logged a call and got a ticket number?

4 Posts

August 27th, 2018 11:00

Try enabling PIN function:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/80520-enable-disable-domain-users-sign-pin-windows-10-a.html

Also, you need Intel Software Guard Extensions Platform Software installed if you try the Fingerprint reader but it does not scan.

15 Posts

August 28th, 2018 06:00

I posted earlier that I was experiencing a problem where the fingerprint reader would not work when rebooting cold or from hibernation, and thought I'd report back.

I discovered that the option to allow windows to stop the fingerprint reader to save battery was checked. I unchecked that box and it now works as it should. I know it worked prior to one of those windows updates, so i'm assuming that update also enabled that option.

1 Message

September 1st, 2018 14:00

This wasn't the exact solution but it was very close and got my fingerprint reader on my 9370 working again. During the Windows update that disabled everyone's Goodix fingerprint reader, the following software got corrupted or as in my case just went missing - Intel Guard Extensions Platform Software. Finally found that by searching support.dell.com, downloaded it and viola! My fingerprint sensor is working again!!!

Thank you for pointing me in a direction not expected!

6 Posts

September 4th, 2018 05:00

My question now is why would it be removed? 

4 Posts

September 13th, 2018 03:00

I've the same exact identical problem as the first message of the thread, only my Dell is an XPS 15 9570, and driver version 2.1.32.300

Until now I wasn't able to solve this problem following some hints here, or by tech support (the only thing they suggested was to try to do a clean os reinstall).

Following to see if a solution eventually will come. 

4 Posts

September 14th, 2018 05:00

@mjones160 wrote:

This wasn't the exact solution but it was very close and got my fingerprint reader on my 9370 working again. During the Windows update that disabled everyone's Goodix fingerprint reader, the following software got corrupted or as in my case just went missing - Intel Guard Extensions Platform Software. Finally found that by searching support.dell.com, downloaded it and viola! My fingerprint sensor is working again!!!

This software reinstall solved the fingerprint reader problem to me too (XPS 15 9570)!

Thank you very much.

2 Posts

October 12th, 2018 21:00

It doesn't help. I tried to reinstall Intel Guard Extensions Platform Software. The fingerprint reader on my XPS 9370 is still not working with Windows 10 1809.

1 Message

October 25th, 2018 07:00

Same here, updated to Windows 10 1809 and fingerprint stopped working. Reinstall Intel Guard Extensions Platform Software doesn't help.

1 Message

November 25th, 2018 15:00

@pmiguelfgv wrote:

Hi, Go to BIOS Settings and check: Software Guard Extensions(SGX) set to "Software Controlled", save settings and reboot. This should solve your problem.

Yes it works out!

13 Posts

December 8th, 2018 02:00

Sorry that didn't work for me...

1 Message

December 14th, 2018 12:00

Try this, first uninstall the "Goodix fingerprint" driver under the Device manager and also check the box that says "Delete the driver software for this device", DON'T RESTART COMPUTER or click on Scan for hardware changes, then, go to the drivers page and download "Intel Software Guard Extensions Platform Software" and let it install the drivers automatically, then restart your computer and voila, you have fixed the issue; that's because you need to install first the Intel driver and then the Goodix driver.

3 Posts

December 28th, 2018 09:00

This fixes the issue for me.  

1 Message

January 15th, 2019 06:00

Thanks - this worked for me.  Since I only had my laptop a few days, they sent me a brand new replacement.  The tech could not figure it out.  Note: It worked until the Windows update was installed and stopped working again.  I made the adjustments and it is working again.  

1 Message

February 13th, 2019 05:00

Hello, In my case, the bios SGX settings were already in "Software Controlled" mode but it didn't work. I switched it to "Enable" and it worked. Thanks for idea.

No Events found!