Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 31st, 2020 02:00

Stuck on dell logo

Hi,

About 2 weeks ago I started having a problem where, after sending my laptop to sleep or turning it off the correct way (via the menu), upon turning it back on it gets stuck at the dell logo screen but without the loading circle. After force shutting it down using the power button, it will then work correctly and boot into windows when I go to turn it on again. I have since updated windows and dell to try and fix the problem, but it still persists. Because I can eventually turn it on and use the laptop normally after forcing it to shut down using the power button, I believe the problem is different to similar questions. I can’t quite remember but I think about the time the problem began there may have been a forced windows update, but nothing else out the ordinary.

Any advice appreciated, thanks

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

May 31st, 2020 10:00

Welcome to the Dell Community @Jess97 

Go to "Settings"

Then to "System"

Then on the left hand side click on "Power & Sleep"

Then on the right hand side click on "Additional Power Settings"

Then on the left hand side click on "Choose what Power Buttons Do"

Then click on "Change settings that are currently available"

Then un-check "Turn on fast startup" then "Save Changes" and reboot.

Best regards,

U2 

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

June 1st, 2020 02:00

I'm assuming windows 10 is on the system.....

Please run the diagnostic tool to check the hardware on system by following steps below:

1. Power off system. Remove all peripherals (except AC adapter)

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping the F12 key continuously until you see Preparing one time boot menu in the top right corner of the screen. In Pre- boot menu, select diagnostic. After quick tests finished, select Hard drive and Thorough Test Mode. Report back any error code. 

ePSA Pre-boot System Assessment (Official Dell Tech ...

Additional video:

(edited)

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

June 1st, 2020 05:00

@Jess97 

Please read this.

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-9560-IRST-update-causing-quot-Boot-Twice-quot-conflict-with/m-p/7375194#M34692

It has been awhile and I would hope Dell updated the IRST drivers to fix this problem.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/xps-15-9560-laptop/drivers

Under "Serial ATA" install the latest IRST drivers.

Regards,

U2

isProTip

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 31st, 2020 10:00

Please list Dell model number and version of windows. Example: Dell Inspiron 3543, windows 10

If you don't know, type msinfo32 onto search box, stroll down to System Model, you should see it now.

How to find the product model of your Dell computer | Dell US

https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln298441/how-to-find-the-product-model-of-your-dell-computer?lang=en

In meantime, run Dell Off Line Diagnostic to check Hard drive and the other Hardware within the computer.

You could do this by following steps below:

1. Power off system

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping F12 key until you see Preparing One Time Boot Menu in top right corner of screen. In Dell Preboot menu, select Diagnostic. Report back any error code.

isGoodTroubleshooting

4 Posts

May 31st, 2020 15:00

Apologies for not including it in the original post, my model is XPS 15 9560

Thanks I will try what you said and see what happens

4 Posts

Hi again,

I ran the diagnostic and the only error (I think? In the event log?) is: Battery -The battery is reaching the end of its usable life. I think everything else has passed

4 Posts

@U2CAMEB4ME 

Thanks this did actually work! And I have it in place now. But I feel this has more just gone around the issue rather than actually fixed it? I am wondering if something is wrong with my windows as in addition to this problem, in the past half year my desktop/file explorer started crashing often (especially when right clicking) and also has an issue displaying text properly (ie text as in whatever is used in notepad, and MATLAB forums website, and cmd. Not normal text like most normal websites and on the desktop etc) 

January 14th, 2021 18:00

@Jess97 i'm having the same problem. i just followed the solution and crossing my fingers it works. did you happen to notice this happening when the laptop was running on battery and/or plugged in? i know this was months ago but just curious.

No Events found!