Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 15th, 2020 05:00

How to upgrade to higher capacity NVME without reformating

Hello I would like to upgrade the 256GB NVME SSD that my XPS came with. I want to upgrade it to 1TB NVME SSD but i do not want to reformat my drive, as much as possible i want to port everything to the new drive, programs and all. Installing the user preference and profiles again would be a lot of pain.

Can anyone link me to a guide you have followed if you have tried this. I do have a PC that can read NVME that can be used to clone the drive

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

February 15th, 2020 06:00

Cloning the drive is pretty painless using a program such as Macrium Reflect Free. You can download that program here and a tutorial is here. It means reading from the old drive to the new drive using an enclosure or as you posted your other PC. You can also make an image of the drive to another drive then restore that image to the new drive. The video for that procedure is here and here.

2 Posts

February 15th, 2020 06:00

Thank you for the fast response, i will begin trying this solution out and comeback for an update

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 15th, 2020 16:00

I second the suggestion for Macrium Reflect Free.  Since you're migrating to a drive with larger capacity, it's easier to specify custom partition sizing during the clone job than using a repartitioning tool afterward, especially if your C partition that you presumably want to expand is NOT the last partition on your disk, as might be the case.  Steps 4 and 5 of this KB article show you to resize partitions during a clone or image restore (in the latter scenario, the option in question is called "Restored Partition Properties" rather than "Cloned Partition Properties", but otherwise it works the same way.)  Also note that if your cloned disk doesn't immediately boot after you install it internally, boot your system from your Macrium Reflect Rescue Media and run the Fix Boot Problems wizard.

No Events found!