Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 10th, 2020 11:00

XPS 8930, Windows 10, turns on no display

Hello, 

My friend has a Dell XPS computer with i7, 16GB memory, 2tb of storage, And Nvidia GTX 1050Ti. However, when he turns on his computer, it turns on but the display is black. The keyboard and mouse are on, but nothing else responds. It’s been like this for a few months now. My friend says that he thought he had two gpus and he thinks he disabled the integrated one (Intel I think) because it said nvidia, then it went black and it has been like that ever since. I know the story is a bit weird but in short the computer turns on and the display is black and he can’t get to windows. Any help would be appreciated, so I can help my friend with this problem. 

Thanks 

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

June 10th, 2020 13:00

So it's working ok now with monitor connected to the add-in NVidia card?

Enabling Intel UHD Graphics depends on how friend disabled it in the first place. Doh! 

You can start by opening Device Manager and expanding list under Display adapters. Double-click Intel UHD Graphics and then click the Driver tab.

Does next-to-last button on that tab says "Disable" or "Enable" Device? If it says "Enable", click it and confirm, if asked. Then exit Device Manager and reboot.

And then tell friend to keep grubby fingers away from stuff that he doesn't understand...

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 10th, 2020 11:00

NON Dell cards will require Secure Boot OFF.

https://www.dell.com/community/Windows-8/When-installing-an-after-market-graphics-card-into-a-certified/td-p/4008882

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3156

Answer ID 3156
  |    Published 10/25/2012 03:12 PM
  |    Updated 10/26/2012 02:00 PM

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

June 10th, 2020 12:00

We need to know the exact PC model and version of Windows...

Can you test this monitor on a different PC or a different monitor on this PC, to rule out monitor problems?

Since this PC has an add-in NVidia video card, the first monitor should be connected to the add-in card. If it's currently connected to an onboard Intel HD Graphics video port, but the user disabled onboard Intel Graphics, there won't be any video output (assuming the monitor actually works!).

Since you didn't tell us the exact XPS PC model, I'll use this diagram of the rear of an XPS 8930 as an example:

XPS 8930 rear.jpg

Make sure the monitor is NOT connected to any video port in the area marked "1". The monitor should be connected to a video port in the area marked "2".  Always power PC and monitor off before swapping video ports.

Post back and give us an update...

39 Posts

The PC is a Dell XPS8930 and it has windows 10. 

He does not have another pc he can test it on, however, my friend also has a PS4 and the monitor works on the PS4 and he can play on the PS4. 

So he should plug the HDMI into the “2” instead of one? I haven’t heard from him but hopefully that is the issue. 

39 Posts

okay so should he plug the hdmi into the middle one ? 

39 Posts

This doesn’t help me at all 

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

Sounds like monitor is ok.

And YES, plug the video cable into a port in area 2, not in area 1...

Assuming that works, have the friend go back into Device Manager and re-enable Intel UHD Graphics again, but leave the monitor connected to 2.

And then tell friend to stop messing around with the PC's settings...

39 Posts

the computer is on, how do I reenable intel for him? 

39 Posts

Thank you everything is good now!!

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

June 10th, 2020 15:00

You're welcome. Glad it's working again...

February 10th, 2023 05:00

It would be nice to see the above photo along with a list for each numbered part and what it is. I cannot find a labeled image anywhere. This is what my PC looks like.

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

February 10th, 2023 13:00

@Shelleylou  - Have you looked in the Service Manual for your specific PC model?  If you have an XPS 8930, the annotated motherboard picture is here.

No Events found!