Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 27th, 2009 12:00

system restore not working. How can I restore it?

System restore seems to have stopped working on my Dell Vostro running Windows Vista. It has worked fine before but the last time I tried to run it, it went through the whole process and then when it rebooted it said it was unsuccessful and suggested trying another restore point. None of the othe restore points worked. I am resigned to not being able to restore to any of those points, but I would like to be able to use it again in the future. Is there anyway that I can reset system restore so that it will work again from now on?

Thanks,

Rob

3.7K Posts

March 27th, 2009 13:00

Hi robert, To switch on system restore for windoes vista, Control Panel, Backup and restore Center, then Create an restore point or change settings.

This consurns your Dell D Restore, HERE is an dell support journal on how to repair your restore. Look at the command Prompt section. Hope this helps

If this answers your question, could you please mark the verify answer(s) to help other users out.:emotion-21:

5.2K Posts

March 27th, 2009 16:00

Reboot and press F8 at the Dell boot screen. From the selections, select Restore with the last good restore Point and try to restore. If this doesn't work, then repeat tht F8 and select Repair install. Another possibility is a SFC /SCANNOW run in an administrator Command Box.

This breakdown of the System Restore points happens sometimes for no real reason. Might be caused by any of a number of activities, such as defraging or other system clean-up activities.

By the way, what has mis-functioned to need the Restore. Sometimes problems can be resolved without doing a Restore.

No Events found!