Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

May 15th, 2009 17:00

Windows Internet Explorer 8 for XP

A week or so ago I downloaded and attempted to install the above upgrade to my Vista machine. For some reason this update did not want to install, after I tried more than once to do so. I will try again this weekend but am not optimistic. I have yet to download the XP version...I really don't want anything to do with it and I would like to keep the update from begging me to download and install it...I want to hide it.

Some time ago there was a Service Pack (can't remember the number of it) for Windows Office. This update probably showed up since I have Word on this XP machine. But I don't have Office or any component of it. When I tried to install the Service Pack, it wouldn't install because some file or other was missing. After trying unsuccessfully to resolve this I was somehow able to hide the update. It does not show up anymore in recommended or critical updates and the little yellow shield is not displayed in the tray.

When I go to the update screen the "restore hidden updates" is grayed out and the "change settings" page doesn't give me any options to hide another update. I simply do not want this version on my computer...I am perfectly happy with the what I have. Does anyone have an idea of where I can go to perform the hidden update procedure. I can't remember how I did this previously. Thanks as usual.

1 Message

May 16th, 2009 06:00

I'm new here and not very smart about computers , but I think it won't work for you because you have the VISTA OS and the new download is for XP OS

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

May 16th, 2009 06:00

Dale,

go to windows update (IE / tools / windows update)

click on CUSTOM updates

locate the IE8 item.   click on the + in front of it, which will expand that section to include an explanation/details of the update.

there should be a box at the bottom of the details, to CHECK not to show you that update again.

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

May 16th, 2009 07:00

Thanks David...now I remember...!  :emotion-10:

And to clarify rosedec21 and FYI...there are separate updates for each OS and the computer is able to discern which is which, and what to make available for download. The Vista update was labeled as such.

No Events found!