DELL Optiplex
WIN XP Home
P4 2.8GB HT
512 DDR RAM
40 GB Primary HD
160 GB Secondary HD
NVidia 64MB Geforce 440 MX Video Card

Hello,

I want to increase the speed of my computer as much as possible. I know increasing the Virtual Memory can help but I want to know how big I can go or if there is limits I should consider.

I heard multiplying the RAM by 1.5 (728) is good but I read differing opinions.

Anyone?

~Shane

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 3rd, 2004 09:00

Increasing the memory, above what you have now, will not speed up the PC.  It will allow more memory for some memory intensive operations or allow more windows (programs) to be opened at one time but that's all.  Unless you are using some high end (commercial) graphics or CAD programs, very large spreadsheets, etc what memory you have is more than sufficient.

"Virtual memory" is actually temporary space on the hard drive for extensions if all of the RAM is used up.  That should be left to Windows to control. 

Why do you think the computer is not "fast enough"?  You have one of the latest PC's and CPU's made.  There is a higher speed CPU (e.g. 3.0) but it's extra speed would never be noticed operating the PC. 

186 Posts

January 3rd, 2004 11:00

Some people recommend setting a fixed max/initial virtual memory setting, and in older OS's this was the case; but in actual tests that I've seen posted, under WinXP this provides no benefit over using system managed virtual memory.  What can provide some (extremely minimal) increase is if you put the vitual memory on a different hard drive that the programs(s) you may be running when it is accessed, also the drive with the virtual memory should have a decent cache size.  For example, if this is for gaming, if all your games are installed on your 40GB Primary drive, place the virtually memory on your secondary 160GB drive.  Ideally, this should be created in its own partition first thing after formatting the drive (places the virtual memory in its own partition at the front of the drive) - this last step is likely not worth the hassle though with an established hard drive with programs/data already on it.  However, as I said above, these changes will result in extremely minimal performance increases. 

As someone else mentioned, your system would seem to be fairly fast already.  What are you doing that makes it seem not fast enough?

2.5K Posts

January 3rd, 2004 12:00

Since the swap file is used only if there is insufficient real memory, and the sysyem will warn you if there is insufficient swap space, and using swap space is slow - there is only one viable conclusion add real memory if you believe that there is insufficient swap space.  Adding read memory has some limitations, if the machine doesn't really meed more memory adding memory will not improve peformance.  Windows XP Pro has a limination of 4 Gigabytes of real memory, but I am not sure if XP Home has the same or smaller limination.  P.S. I now the first part ot the first sentrnance is not absolutely true, "but it is close enough for government work".   There is also a limination on swap space, 4 gigabytes per disk. I believe.

1.1K Posts

January 3rd, 2004 14:00

A fixed size page file doesn't become fragmented as much as a system managed one. This can increase performance over time if you use the page file often. You can get a utility to defrag the page file here:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pagedefrag.shtml

2K Posts

January 3rd, 2004 19:00

You can speed up the RE-load of programs by pressings Windows+Break(pause) keys together , Advanced tab , Performance Settings , Advanced , Memory usage & check "System cache".
Thus some programs that have been loaded before are RE-loaded from Cache instead of from HD.
I have only 256 MB of RAM & works OK for me.

22 Posts

January 3rd, 2004 22:00

AllynKC,

I am using my comp for a lot of multi-tasking (wed design, audio/video editing, gaining, etc.). I find the programs I use take up a lot of RAM. I am looking for solutions to speed things up a bit becuase of the lag times from switching back and forth, etc.

I increased the VM of my 160GB HD to min 768mb/max 3000mb. I left the 40GB HD with the same. Should I only have VM settings on one hard drive?

~Shane

PS. Will cache settings make a difference? Maybe I will make a new posting for that question.

22 Posts

I am using my computer for gaming, web design, audio editing, and video editing.

I adjusted my performance to re-load from system cache. Does that actually make a difference? Why?

~Shane

2K Posts

alcheme wrote:    I adjusted my performance to re-load from system cache. Does that actually make a difference? Why?

I already explained re-loads from RAM which is faster than loading from HD.
Probably needs a re-start to take effect.

Message Edited by gryjhnhpe on 01-04-2004 11:27 AM

2.5K Posts

January 3rd, 2004 23:00

Making the swap file bigger will have no effect on performance.   Programs run in RAM, not in the SWAP file.  Real memory, can if needed, effect speed by decreasing the use of SWAP space.  Try this experiment, since you have two disk you can max out the swap files at 4 Gigabytes on each disk, and see if pewrformance improves.

4.4K Posts

January 4th, 2004 15:00

22 Posts

January 5th, 2004 05:00

JROSENFELD,

Thanks, I took the paging file off of Drive C: and put it on Drive D: as recommended by Microsoft when using more than one Hard Drive. It says the virtual memory will be accessed faster if it is not on the boot Drive. The only drawback is it will not be able to create dump files for debugging. However, I tried it with page files on both drives and had no problems.

I read that the computer will use the page file on the non-boot Disk D (equal to 1.5 times the RAM) and only use the Drive C page file (equal to the RAM size) if it has to debug; however, I have not found any literature to say why it would prefer using the Drive D page file over the Drive C paging file, so I got rid of the Drive C page file until I find some info to say why I should have a page file on both drives.

~Shane 

December 21st, 2019 20:00

That is indeed a good swap volume

No Events found!