Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

July 20th, 2003 00:00

Unable to sign into MSN/Hotmail and other website

The two websites that I go to almost every day to not work anymore. I can go to the msn website but I can not check my email or log into MSN Explorer or MSN Messenger. I usually go to play games on www.pogo.com and I have never had any problems with that website before. Both websites have been fine until Thursday. I am having major problems with my Internet Explorer. I've had so much spyware on my computer (I just today deleted most of it...I think) and I'm wondering if this had something to do with my problem. I have tried downloading the new Internet Explorer 6 but it does not work no matter what I do. Please Help!!! I am getting very frustrated.  Technology- I can't live with it, and I can't live without it.

895 Posts

Well system restore is not going to work.  As I previously stated, does Spybot keep a backup of the things you deleted, or lets try this are the items you deleted still in your waste basket?  If so restore them.  Kip

i keep getting the message:

The procedure entry point RemoteAssistancePrepareSystemRestore could not be located in the dynamic link library winsta.dll

All I've done is removed spy ware with Spy Bot which is supposed to be safe. This shouldn't have done anything to mess it up..I think.

895 Posts

Click your start menu, go to all programs, click accessories, click tools, click system restore.  Pick a date to revert back to before all this happened.  Note, you will lose anything you added after the date you select to do the restore to.  Kip

how do you do a system restore?

why do you think i can access these two websites when every other website works?

895 Posts

Kind of hard to give advice when you have made so many system changes in short order.  Any one of them could be the culprit.  You mentioned you got rid of some spywear.  Most spywear removers keep a back up of what you uninstalled.  You could go back and reinstall the items and take them off one at a time to see if you can narrow it down.  A better solution at this point may be to do a system restore to a point before all this happened.  A piece of advice, do not make system changes close together.  If one action causes probems, undo it until you can figure out what happened.  Dont go and do another system change until the other is fixed.  You may just be compounding the problem and make it extremely difficult to trace a system malfunction.   Kip

July 20th, 2003 01:00

Restored these files and restarted computer. nothing has changed that i am aware of.

895 Posts

July 20th, 2003 10:00

Message Edited by kippy50 on 07-20-2003 07:44 AM

2 Posts

July 29th, 2003 22:00

Have you solved your problem yet.  We are looking for the solution to a similar problem.  In addition to not being able to sign in to the msn/Hotmail, for the past couple weeks, we have been complaining to our mutual fund companies that we are not being given access to our investment accounts.  Each time we try to log on, an error message pops up saying that the ...page cannot be displayed...    After many hours of discussions with several web site technicians at these mutual fund companies, covering a variety of setting changes with IE6, we are all concluding that, for some reason, our Windows XP Professional is overriding our instructions to IE6 to accept all cookies.  A couple weeks ago, we disabled our FIREWALL thinking this may solve the problem; however, perhaps some remnant of the firewall program is still not allowing some cookies, regardless of what we do to IE6.  [We have another PC in the other room with Windows 98 and IE6 which gets us to all of our accounts fine].  The problem appears to be this new Dell computer software.  We are reluctant to uninstall Windows XP Professional.  Anyway, if you found the solution, please let us know...

July 31st, 2003 11:00

As far as being able to sign in to Hotmail and other websites that works now. I did not do anything myself, it just started working last Thursday which was exactly a week from when it stopped working. System Restore, however is not working still. I still get the message Entry Point not found.

2 Posts

September 6th, 2004 19:00

Dimension 8300, XP, Direct satellite hookup.  I am having a similar problem with msn sign-in after replacing hard drive and reloading.  Get "This page cannot be displayed".  Same message if I try to set up a new passport, or if I try to contact Microsoft.

What finally worked for you?

2 Posts

September 6th, 2004 20:00

Nothing much worked perfectly.  I still sometimes get the same thing, but it's mainly with the MSN site pages for some reason.  I recently accessed their updated charting software which may have helped some.  But I doubt it.  At one point, MSN email indicated that their server was part of the problem.  After doing some tweaking to their server people (so they said), I was okay for a while.  It seems to happen less often now.

No Events found!