Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

July 21st, 2007 06:00

Serious Problems with Windows Media Player 11

In Windows Media Player 11, whenever I attempt to change any information in the library, the cpu usage goes to at least 50 and then the program hangs.

I am unable to roll back my WMP11 because I don't have the file $NtUninstallwmp11. I must have somehow deleted it.

I thought WMP was on the Dell Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Including Service Pack 1a, but I didn't see it.

I'm hoping that if I can reinstall the original WMP that came with my Dell Dimension 8400, then maybe the cpu usage will return to normal after I update to WMP11.

Can someone please, please tell me which Dell disk the WMP is located on and how I can reinstall it.

Thank you so much! Cathie

Message Edited by pmcwblue on 07-21-2007 02:54 AM

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

July 21st, 2007 16:00

Assuming you're looking for WMP 10, you should be able to download it from here:

• Supported Operating Systems: Windows XP; Windows XP Professional Edition ; Windows XP Service Pack 1; Windows XP Service Pack 2

Validation (that your Windows is genuine) is Required

Warning:   If you've used WMP 11 to download any content that is protected with digital media usage rights, you may lose it by using this site to install WMP 10.... rolling back to v10, which you say you can't do, can preserve them --- see here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/11/readme.aspx#1792680

Message Edited by ky331 on 07-21-2007 01:16 PM

9 Posts

July 21st, 2007 20:00

I tried to download WMP 10, but it would not install.

9 Posts

July 21st, 2007 23:00

Message stated newer version installed; therefore could not install older version.

$NtUninstallwmp11 has been deleted from my system.

I'm wondering if I should contact Dell directly to ask them which of their discs contains my original copy of Windows Media Player.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

July 21st, 2007 23:00

were there any specific error messages, explaining WHY it wouldn't install?? --- for example, did it indicate that you already/still had WMP 11 (a newer version), and wouldn't let you "downgrade" to the older one?

If WMP 11 is still installed, can you completely uninstall it (without the rollback)?? --- or have you completely lost the uninstaller??

If you can't uninstall 11 --- and it's not working properly --- perhaps you can try to re-download & re-install 11 (if it will let you)... see if the re-installed 11 works any better... and if not, hopefully, you'll now have an uninstaller again, to uninstall 11, and re-try the 10. 

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

July 22nd, 2007 00:00

you can certainly try contacting DELL, but  I do believe they'll tell you that since it's freely available for download from the internet, there's no need for them to ship you anything further.

let me re-iterate the last point of my previous message... if you can successfully re-install 11, then, even if you're not happy with how 11 works, you at least should have replaced the UNinstaller as well... which will then allow you to uninstall 11 completely... so you will be able to install 10.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

perhaps DELL (or someone else reading this) can...

i've run out of suggestions.... sorry

9 Posts

Hey, not to worry...thanks so much for trying to help!

9 Posts

I have reinstalled wmp11; however, it must not have been 100% successful as the file $NtUninstallwmp11 is not present on my hard drive and I did search for hidden files as well. I wasn't wanting Dell to send me new discs, I just thought they could tell me which of the original discs I do have is the wmp located on.

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

July 22nd, 2007 01:00

Some registry cleaner  programs (such as CCleaner) delete uninstaller files  in an attempt to remove unwanted files from your computer.

Perhaps some good soul reading this who has WMP11 installed could PM you for your email address, and email you with that $NtUninstallwmp11$ file attached. (Don't post your email address in public, though). Place it in your C:\WINDOWS directory.

Alternatively you might be able to copy it from a friend's PC who has WMP11.

Message Edited by joe53 on 07-21-2007 10:55 PM

2 Intern

• 

503 Posts

Did you totally uninstall Windows Media Player 11 before trying to reinstall it again? Try this: http://www.kensavage.com/index.php/archives/how-to-uninstall-and-rollback-windows-media-player-11/

Message Edited by S.C on 07-21-2007 09:34 PM

9 Posts

Great site you sent me to as it had a lot of information; however, none of it will work for me.

First, in Add/Remove Programs, Windows Media Player 11 & Windows Media Format 11 Runtime are visible in the main list. They are NOT present in Windows XP - Software Updates. Second, I again searched for $NtUninstallwmp11 and it is definitely NOT on my hard drive. Third, Windows Media Player 10 is nowhere on my hard drive.

I tried to restore back to before I installed Windows Media Player 11, but for some reason I can't go further than June 1st.

I know I have royally messed this up because the main file I need is $NtUninstallwmp11. Do you know where I could possibly download this file?

Message Edited by pmcwblue on 07-21-2007 09:56 PM

2 Intern

• 

503 Posts

July 22nd, 2007 02:00

As from the information I've found, $NtUninstallwmp11 is used to be able to roll back Windows Media Player 11. Problem is, it is gone. Maybe the only thing left for you to do is to reinstall Windows all over again or you can try to get the file from a friend.

29 Posts

July 22nd, 2007 04:00

probably the obvious but have you tried the MS Knowledge Base or MS Support...my experience with their support, had an issue with CFS 3, emailed support, got a reply the next morning and it solved the problem, that was the only time I've used their support team, but they're batting 100% for me lol

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

July 22nd, 2007 06:00

And thanks for letting us know what worked!

9 Posts

July 22nd, 2007 06:00

Boy, do I feel silly. I never thought of copying the file from another computer. Well I did and it worked! Thanks for letting me know.
    No Events found!