Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

February 17th, 2006 15:00

Registry cleaners

What is the best registry cleaner? I need to clean adware from my regestry and repair broken or missing links.

11.9K Posts

February 17th, 2006 15:00

@bilnbev wrote:
What is the best registry cleaner? I need to clean adware from my regestry and repair broken or missing links.

There is no need to use Registry Cleaners, they usually cause more harm than good.  If you need to remove adware:

Go to www.lavasoftusa.com .  Download AdAware.  Install it, open it, UPDATE IT, run it.  Delete everything that it finds.  Note - download the FREE version. 

Go to http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx .  Download Microsoft AntiSpyware.  Install it, open it, UPDATE IT, run it.  Delete everything it finds.

Start, Run, Msconfig.  Click on Startup Tab.  Uncheck everything that this site says you can: http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php . When the computer reboots, check the box that says don't show me this again.  If it's X or N, uncheck it.

116 Posts

February 17th, 2006 20:00

rickmktg,

1. I regularlly use registry cleaning software, so for me and others who will be interested in your comment, what are a few reasons why they can be harmful.

Thanks......................................................cdtUK

117 Posts

February 17th, 2006 21:00

Well, for one thing, if you take out the wrong items you can disable either an individual program
or in some cases the entire pc ... If you must use a reg cleaner, it is a good idea to only use
one that can do a registry backup and restore ... before you run the cleaner, make a backup

I believe regcrsubxp has all these features ... to do a Backup with this, see the user guide
that comes with it .. there are a couple of files to click on that will make the backup

You can get it here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2048

11.9K Posts

February 17th, 2006 22:00

@cdtUK wrote:

rickmktg,

1. I regularlly use registry cleaning software, so for me and others who will be interested in your comment, what are a few reasons why they can be harmful.

Thanks......................................................cdtUK

Because people use them without understanding what they are doing, make their computers unstable/inoperative, then don't have a way to get them running again.  I've never used one.

If you use the Advanced Search, you'll see other people that have been on these forums for years also never use them and don't recommend them. 

116 Posts

February 18th, 2006 02:00

For Brucebubello  & rickmktg,

1. Now your replies on the non-use of Reg. Cleaners is very interesting and more important than you think - where-else but this Forum would you find out such information. I am often in trouble with problematic and peculiar difficulties with for example getting programs to launch.

2. On these lines of launching programs I get the definate impression that Pop-up Blockers that you don't know you have, built into say Spyware software, are another burden that you often cannot locate. Do you think that the time will come when Blockers will have to be excluded within programs in favour of a single all embracing program thus giving back controllability to the user?

3. I believe that the latter has widespread implications to the majority of Forum members and I hope therefore it will attract responses from the Boffins which includes yourselves. 

cdtUK..............................................................................................Thank you.

141 Posts

February 19th, 2006 01:00

It doesn't seem to get much mention, but only high marks for those who try it - WinASO Registry Optimizer (now includes reg.defrag). I've been using it for nearly a year without a single problem. After deleting or uninstalling anything, there are many leftover "dead ends". I'm certain there are hundreds of errors in any registry that's never been scanned. I'd rather not have them.

No Events found!