Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 7th, 2007 14:00

Registry Cleaner for Vista?

Is there any need for me to clean the registry?  Is there a free program?  Will it speed up my computer?

2.5K Posts

December 7th, 2007 14:00

No.

12.7K Posts

December 7th, 2007 15:00

Is there one? Yes

Will it spped up my PC?, No

Can it possibly mess my PC up?  Yes

16 Posts

December 7th, 2007 16:00

I've used CCleaner with Vista and have not run into any problems so far, but the warnings provided above are valid. You definitely can mess up your system.

After removing all the crapware that subsidizes Dell, I recovered almost 25% of the registry space removing unused entries that the uninstallers and Vista patches leave behind.

CCleaner is pretty conservative on what it will remove from the registry and prompts you to backup the registry entries before it removes them. I would guess in conjunction with a registry reorganization it might provide a modest performance improvement. Just removing the crapware will do more to improve performance than the registry cleanup.

12.1K Posts

December 7th, 2007 17:00

njs1 wrote:
Is there any need for me to clean the registry?  Is there a free program?  Will it speed up my computer?

Speed up the computer.  Yes, some
Speed up gaming if you do this.  Definitely yes

For gaming, you got the wrong slow video card and you will see a big performance gain with another.  Let us know if you wish to upgrade and how much you are willing to spend.

Things you can do to improve the performance of your system.

1. Hard drive needs to be defragged.

If the hard drive is full or near full, this will slow the system down, and you need to unload some of the programs, pictures, music, etc to free up some space. Or get another larger hard drive

2. Use two spyware programs, and keep them up to date, use them often to get the spyware off.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

CCleaner, is a freeware system optimization/privacy tool. It removes unused and temporary files from your system , which helps Windows to run faster.

It cleans the following:

1. Internet Explorer Cache, History, Cookies, Index.dat;
2. Recycle Bin, Temporary files and Log files;
3. Recently opened URLs and files;
4. Third-party application temp files and recent file lists (MRUs);
5. Including: Firefox, Opera, Media Player, eMule, Kazaa, Google Toolbar, Netscape, Office XP, Nero, Adobe Acrobat, WinRAR, WinAce, WinZip and more...

It also contains an "Advanced Registry Scanner" and cleaner to remove unused and old entries to include File Extensions, ActiveX Controls, ClassIDs, ProgIDs, Uninstallers, Shared DLLs, Fonts, Help Files, Application Paths, Icons, Invalid Shortcuts, etc.

3. Disable all, but the Anti Virus software and Firewall at boot up. No other program really needs to start up at boot, which takes resources and slows things down.

Stop Unnecessary Startup programs

Below procedure will provide a faster boot up, and eliminate wasting memory on programs that are not in use at this time, and may help gaming as well.

4. Both Vista and Windows XP clean up procedures provided below

Start up programs for Vista OS:

Click on START, than put in the Start Search box just above Start, MSCONFIG. Msconfig will appear near the top of this box, click on it. Now you are in the System Configuration Utility Program. Click on START UP you see on the top of this Utility Program. Uncheck the programs from here that you do not want to start at boot up, leaving the Anti Virus, and any third party Firewall alone as well as any video card driver. You can always go back into this program to restart them. They will not be uninstalled, just disabled. Click on APPLY, than it will ask you if you wish to reboot the system. Do so.

After it boots up again, you will be presented with another start up warning window in the lower right side of the screen, which says “Windows has blocked some start up programs". Click on this icon in the system tray, put your mouse pointer over the "Run blocked Program" than another window will appear stating “System Configuration Utility". Click on this, and a box will appear in the middle of the screen. From the System Configuration Utility Program box that appears, it will tell you that you have made an adjustment. If you don't want to see this pop up each time you boot up, put a check mark in the little box in the lower left corner of this announcement.

5. If your video card is of the low end or older now, you may wish to install an upgrade.

6. Use the Disk CleanUp program

By freeing disk space, you can improve the performance of your computer. The Disk Cleanup tool helps you free up space on your hard disk. The utility identifies files that you can safely delete, and then enables you to choose whether you want to delete some or all of the identified files.

Use Disk Cleanup to:

Remove temporary Internet files.

Remove downloaded program files (such as Microsoft ActiveX controls and Java applets).

Empty the Recycle Bin.

Remove Windows temporary files.

Remove optional Windows components that you don't use.

Remove installed programs that you no longer use.

7.  Many have done a complete Reformat and Reinstall of the Operating System, which will bring it back to day one again, making things faster. Lots of work and you must save everything you do not wish to lose prior to the reformat.

8 . Clean out E-mail Inbox that will help to speed up your system slightly.

9.  Dusting, and cleaning of the system, reducing heat build-up will help matters as well. If you have a notebook, use a can of compressed air weekly in the vents, but no more than two weeks if in a dusty area.

10. Check your drivers. They may be way out of date. Download the more current drivers if need be.

Gaming better....  ( In addition to above suggestions )

Remember, every little bit does help.

1. Windows XP or Vista: In this operating system, to improve the performance further, it is recommended to turn off windows Best Appearance, and set it to Best Performance, which frees up some resources to improve things.

2. Wallpaper/Screen Saver: Having these will take a small amount of memory (Resources), and should be turned off during gaming.

3. Background programs: Not needed, except your Anti Virus / Firewall if online gaming. If you are not online gaming, turn the anti virus software off. Method in disabling these unneeded programs is shown towards the bottom.

4. Video Drivers: The driver for the video card is ever changing. Improvements are included to help performance or to correct an issue that was in the older version of the video card driver. You may wish to experiment with some other newer released driver to see if it works for you, and the card you have in your system. You may even learn that an older driver may work better. You can always try different drivers as many have done, and learned which ones you like or do not like. Notebook video drivers are harder to come by, are not as often released as desktops. Bummer

5. Lower the game settings. If you find that your games lags, freezes, or you see what we call a frame rate slide show, the game setting may be set too high. You may have to go into the game settings to lower a number of them, including the resolutions from 1280x1024 to maybe 1024x768 or even lower to 800x600 resolution settings to improve the game. Some may have turned on AA or AF, which, unless you have a very powerful video card, will take a big hit in frame rates, slowing the game even further.

What is AA or AF?

Anti Aliasing attempts to make curves look smoother by lessening the 'Jaggies' or lines found in the make up of curved images. It's one of those things you don't usually notice in a game until you actually try out AF/AA, and you realize then the difference it makes.

Anisotropic filtering attempts to smooth out or enhances the sharpness/quality of a texture when it's viewed from an angle. When you look at a texture in a game head on, it’s a perfect image. If however you move to one side of the image but still look at the same spot, the image becomes sort of drawn out. Anisotropic Filtering removes the blurring we see from an angle.

6. Updates: Over time, some patches for a game are made available from the game site to fix an issue or to include additional scenes, so look there to see if they have any, download, install it.

7. Make sure you use your anti virus software, and spyware program to check for issues. Download the updates often.

8. If troubles persist, than maybe reinstalling the game may help, make sure you turn off the anti virus software during the install, than back on again. Installing a game while the anti virus software is turned on, may interfere with the install, not always, but its best to turn this off during the install of the game, and back on afterwards. To be on the safe side, disconnect your internet service (ISP) during this time, than back on again afterwards.

9. Keep it clean: If your system is dirty inside, the cpu may throttle down to keep it cooler, and that translates into a slower system as well. Dust it out often

Message Edited by SR45 on 12-07-2007 02:24 PM

549 Posts

December 7th, 2007 20:00

Hi
This a great thread on the use of Registry Cleaners

1 Rookie

• 

140 Posts

December 7th, 2007 23:00

Thanks everyone for the help.  No, I don't play games, but I do just about everything else on my computer.  I've gone through a lot of the suggestions and followed them, like Ccleaner (I backed up the registry and my whole hard drive first), selective startup, uninstalling a lot of junk, adjusting the visual settings mainly for performance (with some customized exceptions), and also I discovered that one of my home pages seemed to be causing my processor to run constantly at 100% so I switched to a better home page.  Seems about as fast as it can get now.
No Events found!