Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

November 23rd, 2003 00:00

Low virtual memory

My computer has warned me of low virtual memory on my task bar. I do not know much about this topic. I would rather not reconfigure it any way, since I'm not that sure of my own computer literacy. I do not want to harm my computer in any way. Please help! Thank you for any advice! 

I'm operating WindowsXP, it's about 1 yr old, I believe it to be a Dimension 4500 series. We have a CD burner, if that helps. No other add ons though.

Message Edited by Poodlehead20 on 11-22-2003 08:13 PM

Message Edited by Poodlehead20 on 11-22-2003 08:17 PM

2K Posts

What computer model and what Operating system (Windows XP, Windows ME?)

December 13th, 2003 06:00

THAT NUMBER IS 1-866-209-3251

I AM SORRY THE NUMBER IS 1-866-209-3251

I am replying because I have been having the same error- Low Virtual Memory Minimum too low' and I too have a Dell Dimension Desktop with a CD Burner that is too about a year old. I was told by Dell to follow some simple steps that may help, it has not corrected the problem but it happens very rarely. I find that if I have like 5 Microsoft Works spreadsheets open it will occur, or if I have a lot of web pages open like say 9 or 10. Here is a phone # you can call. This is probably going to be THE SOLUTION. I am giving you this phone number because I know that Dell will help you. As a Dell customer you are entitled to FREE Tech support for life. I know this for a fact. When you call, you just need to give the phone # of what your computer what purchased under. There are a lot of prompts, but you need to follow them to route your call. Just basically tell the automated service [by pressing the designated digits] that you have a desktop and that you need technical assistance. You will reach India where all of their tech support is. They are sometimes hard to understand, but they are very courteous and extremely patient. Also, after your call, you will get a phone call from someone asking you if you were treated nicely. Here is the #:

1-800-209-3251. They will first ask you for your service tag#. If you do not know it, they will give it to you. Just as a note- they may keep you on hold for a good 15 to 20 minutes but be patient because they are very nice people.

I plan to call them again in the future too if the problem gets worse for me too. Also, here are the instructions they gave me.

Go to Start

Select Run

Type msconfig

on the box select the start up tab

next select disable all

next click apply and or ok

then click to exit and restart, important for the change to take effect.

When the system is restarted, the problem should be 60% better.

HAve a nice day.

Catherine

And have a nice holiday

4 Posts

December 17th, 2003 14:00

You can go into safe mode and drag them to recycle bin

260 Posts

December 19th, 2003 02:00

instead of disabling all in the msconfig window, just hit selective startup and uncheck process win.ini, process system.ini and load startup items. restart the computer and when it restarts, put a check in the message box where it says don't show this message again. the computer will be relatively faster.

December 19th, 2003 08:00

heres your answer poodle,  dive right in  and do it.

open  ControlPanel  then the  System Icon.  click Properties then the "Advanced" tab,  then "Performance + Settings",

"Advanced" tab again,   then "Virtual Memory + Change",  then Select /Highlight your C:\ drive, go down and tick the

"System managed size" circle, then click SET,  and finally OK all panels and Restart XP.

all that will  tell windows to sort its own VM out as it goes.

dont be frightened - go on try it  :)

December 19th, 2003 10:00

After I wrote my message about the phone # I ended up getting fed up because it happened again, so Dell instructed me to adjust the "Paging File setup" just like you described. But, I was also told that this would not CURE the problem. The only way to cure the problem I was told is to upgrade to 256 Megabytes of Ram, which [I'm pretty sure is double what the Dell Dimension Desktop 4550 comes with]. I got a qoute of $50 to $100 to CURE the entire problem.

Later

Catherine

December 19th, 2003 11:00

That sounds fabulous. Thank you

Happy Holidays

Catherine

December 19th, 2003 11:00

yes you must have 256k  minimum to run XP properly,

many people use 512k total since the price nowadays is cheap.

if you have an old 128k chip in there at the moment AND

have a spare slot to take the new 256k you buy,

that will be quite enough at  384k.

buy it from a local store, and they will probably fit it free for you.

January 4th, 2004 19:00

I have 906 mg of ram and I am still geting the "low virtual memory" warning, on my dimension 4600 w/ xp

January 4th, 2004 23:00

That is unbelievable that you have 906 for memory. I wonder what you can do. It sounds like even if I purchase more memory it may not work, but then again maybe you have more stuff than me? or do you have a lot of music or somethin? well tell me what u think

catherine

January 5th, 2004 00:00

I am not sure. I do have a lot of files open when it happens. Mostly photoshop and IE. Anyway I did the change suggested in one of these posts and I will have to see if it crops up again. I'll get back to you in a few days, or sooner if it comes up again.

3 Posts

January 5th, 2004 01:00

I've also had this problem, but I found out what causes it on my PC, I just need to know how to fix it....

It's my Svchost.exe, the one from "Local Service" Every so often, mainly when I log offline or off of a game, my computer acts weird, as in it is constantly loading something. I open task manager and under processes my svchost is going insane, on and off and up and down. Finally after everything is done it begins to hog my memory like crazy, untill finally I need to end task it.

I refuse to belieave it's a virus, because i have run several top of the notch virus scanners. I've also done numerous disk error checks and the like.

Maybe our problems are related?
No Events found!