Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2003 13:00

How do I type in Microsoft Word using Spanish?

How do I select the International Keyboard on Microsoft Word with a Windows XP laptop. I need to type something in Spanish for a spanish class. How do I go about doing that?

5 Posts

November 17th, 2003 15:00

I have the recent version.

Sorry, Mary.  I am clearly slow.

However, if f19 is using Office/Word2000, there isn't much WinXP help.

You can add/change keyboard layouts in Control Panel under Regional and Language Options... Language Tab... Details... button (moved from Keyboard applet in Win2K).  On another note, Word has built in shortcut keys for most of the Spanish language (alphabet and punctuation) like ñ (CTRL+SHIFT+~,then n) and ¿ (CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+?).

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

What version of Word? Help in the recent versions explains exactly how to do this. Search help for Type Spanish.

5 Posts

November 17th, 2003 16:00

it's microsoft word 2002

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

November 17th, 2003 16:00

f19:  You might check the second language boards. Many of the people there are bilingual and can give you an idea of how to handle this.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 17th, 2003 17:00

I was talking about Word's Help--not Windows. Any version of Word's help will have the instructions for this.

4.4K Posts

November 17th, 2003 19:00

Windows XP also has an on screen keyboard that you can set to show the keyboard layout used in particular countries, in your case for Spanish. That shows where the letters are on the keyboard in the chosen language. It should be in the start, programs, Accessories, Accessibility folder. If it is not there make a short cut to osk.exe in C:\Windows\System32 folder. If you use the language bar, you can easily switch from one language to the other, and moving your mouse onto the on screen keyboard changes it to show the appropriate keyboard layout. You can also click on that instead of using your keyboard. Activating the language bar is done in the Regional and Languages options applet in control panel.

November 18th, 2003 12:00

Not to bicker, but Word2000 and prior versions do not have WinXP instructions (the ones I provided) for selecting International Keyboards in the help section.

No Events found!