Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 19th, 2004 22:00

How can I remove "Setup MSN Internet Access" Icon from my desktop?

This silly "Setup MSN Internet Access" icon on my desktop won't go away!  It's not a shortcut; it's not in the Desktop or Startup directories (not even under All Users).  I've run the System Configuration Utility and I don't see anything in the Startup tab that looks like it might be this MSN thing.  Right click doesn't give a delete option.  Selecting it and hitting "delete" key gives a warning I don't know that I want to ignore; I would rather make it -not- appear than to delete it once it's there (unless that's the only way).

So, how do I get rid of it?  I'll gladly tweak the registry.   :)

Any ideas?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 20th, 2004 16:00

Right click and select properties. This will tell you whether this is a file or shortcut, and the file attributes. If it's a file, it's attributes may be set to read-only and you'll see that box checked. Uncheck it and you'll be able to delete it.

If it's a shortcut, go to the target file and do the same thing. Make sure the file attributes "read only" are cleared and delete it. Then you will be able to delete the shortcut.

Whatever error message you are getting, please post here and someone can offer a suggestion.

22 Posts

September 20th, 2004 20:00

Well, that's part of the problem. It's NOT a "real" icon, and it's not a shortcut. Right-clicking gives only 3 or 4 options and NONE of those are "Properties".
One of those options is "Delete", but that give me the same message as if I select it and hit the Delete key: something like "This item cannot go to the Recycle Bin. Are you sure you want to delete it?" Since it's not REALLY a file/shortcut or folder, I'm worried that saying "OK" might do something unpleasant and some other item won't work right.
Rather than delete it -after- it appears, I would rather remove whatever made it appear in the first place. (I hope that makes sense. :)
Either something in the Registry or a program run at startup creates the icon on the desktop only. If I could just identify the specific item, and whether it's safe to remove it, then the icon would not appear on next boot.
If all else fails, I will do the "Delete", but I'd rather try to remove the base cause first.

22 Posts

September 22nd, 2004 17:00

Just bumping this thread to top.

No one has info on how to stop one of these
"non-icons" from appearing on the desktop?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 24th, 2004 00:00

It cannot possibly harm anything to delete it. That's what I suggest you do.

201 Posts

September 27th, 2004 03:00

i did delete my "setup msn internet access icon". nothing bad happens to the system. the icon is just gone. i did find a microsoft article to restore it but now i cannot find it, however if you did want to have "msn internet access, read what is below.

How to Restore the "MSN, The Microsoft Network" Icon
SYMPTOMS
If the icon for installing MSN, The Microsoft Network version 5.0 is removed from the desktop, you cannot install MSN.
CAUSE
This is because MSN version 5.0 (like Microsoft Internet Explorer) is a core component of Windows 98 Second Edition and cannot be uninstalled or reinstalled.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, use one of the following methods:
Use the Rstormsn.exe Utility
Restore the MSN icon to the desktop by using the Rstormsn.exe utility located in the Tools\Mtsutil\Rstormsn folder on the Windows 98 Second Edition CD-ROM.
Use the Msoobe.exe Utility
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type the following line, and then click OK.
c:\windows\system\oobe\msoobe.exe /x

Follow the instructions on your screen to complete the MSN Internet Access wizard.
The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition

you get the same action as double clicking on the "msn internet access icon" but the icon on the desktop is not restored. i did not have to use the cd. all the necessary files are already on my hard drive.

bye for now, brian

Message Edited by BRIANBORU on 09-27-2004 12:26 AM

201 Posts

September 27th, 2004 03:00

hi there, the message goes something like this "if you delete this icon you will not be able to restore it from the recycle bin. are you sure you want to do this?"   bye for now, brian

Message Edited by BRIANBORU on 09-27-2004 12:07 AM

22 Posts

September 27th, 2004 20:00

Thanks. I worked up the courage to delete the icon (but only after making a SystemRestore point). :) It went away and hasn't returned, and nothing bad seems to have happened. So I guess all is well. I didn't want MSN, so the icon was just in the way.

I'd like to know more about that kind of icon, though. It most definitely was NOT a file or shortcut. It was something like the "My Computer", "Recycle Bin", "My Network Neighborhood", and "Internet Explorer icons: special things that show up due to something in the registry or something "behind the scenes".

201 Posts

October 2nd, 2004 12:00

hi yybroida, u know i spent some time looking about that stupid unreal icon , couldnt find nary a thing description wise i mean except its not a real icon . i gonna use my time more wisely

thanks ,brian

No Events found!