Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 31st, 2011 10:00

Can't Delete Files in Download Folder in Windows Explorer

Sometimes I am unable to Delete or Move certain files I have downloaded from the internet to my Downloads folder in Windows Explorer.  When I try I get the error message "The action can't be completed because the file is open in Windows Explorer. Close the file and try again."

I have run Task Manager and verified there are no other instances of Windows Explorer running concurently, or any other processes running that might be locking the file.

If I go to the Command Prompt I am able to delete the file "DOS Style". This is my current workaround,.

So far the only files affected have all been MKV format video files around 4-5GB.  This hasn't happened with any other video or audio files I have downloaded, but I have only had this computer for about 2 weeks.  Also it doesn't happen with all MKV files; only 4 have had this problem to date out of 7-8 that I have downloaded.

The problem occurs with files that have never been "opened" or accessed since being downloaded, as well as files that have been accessed.

The PC is a brand new Inspiron 620 Desktop running Windows 7 Home Premium with all the current updates.

I googled the problem and it is discussed on a couple troubleshooting forums elsewhere, but so far there has been no solution other than the Command Prompt workaround.

If anyone has any suggestions or solutions I would greatly appreciate your help.  Also please let me know if there is any additional info that might be useful.

Thanks in advance and take care!

RenegadeFL

4 Posts

December 31st, 2011 10:00

Just as a follow-up I have also tried rebooting the computer and trying to delete/move the file, but I continue to get the error message.  Thanks again!

RenegadeFL

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 31st, 2011 11:00

Since it only happens to certain files, there may be some protection on those files.  Start the Windows Explorer with "Run as Administrator" and then see if you can delete those files.

4.4K Posts

December 31st, 2011 15:00

You could try Unlocker (free). It will tell you what is locking the file and, if you wish also unlock and delete it

http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/

20.5K Posts

December 31st, 2011 16:00

Assuming that you have already tried to do this in Safemode as Admin, another option would be to see if you can move those files to another folder. Delete that entire folder.

4 Posts

December 31st, 2011 17:00

Downloaded and installed the 64-bit version of Unlocker.  It shows the file is "locked" by multiple instances of Internet Explorer, even though Task Manager shows only one instance running.  The Unlocker software WAS successful in deleting the problem file however.

I would still be interested in a more permanent solution, but this will work for now.  I will update if I learn anything new.  Thank you all for your help on this one.  Peace!

4 Posts

December 31st, 2011 17:00

Worth a try but still get the same message.

20.5K Posts

December 31st, 2011 18:00

Usually Safemode works for that, but glad to learn that you solved the problem for now.:emotion-1:

No Events found!