Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 6th, 2007 22:00

Belkin Easy Transfer Cable (Windows Easy Transfer)

Hi,

I'm trying to get the Belkin Easy Transfer Cable installed on my old Windows XP sp2 machine (Inspiron 8200) so I can migrate files to my new Vista machine.

The Cable is recognized but there appears to be a problem with the driver installation (yellow exclamation point on the cable icon under Device Manager). I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the driver but this has not fixed the problem and there is no newer driver available.

I talked with Belkin and they said it's a Microsoft problem and most likely a problem with my registry.

Any suggestions or did I waste my money on this "Easy" cable? Could it be that the driver is getting installed in the wrong location?

Thanks,

-P 

12K Posts

March 7th, 2007 01:00

What about just bunring them to a disc, then you would also have a backup copy??

12.7K Posts

March 7th, 2007 01:00

I assume it is the Vista PC that has the problem?

Here is how to install software or drivers on Vista that are for XP

Right click on the setup.exe file for the software tou are trying to install and select the compatibility Tab
Tick the "run this file in compatibility mode" box and then select XP in the drop down box, hit OK
Now double click this setup.exe file to execute the install process, hopefully all will go well and install the drivers you need.
I do not guarantee all drivers or software to work but a large percentage do..

Good luck.

If the installer (exe file) is on CD, copy the entire contents of the CD to a folder in Vista, then do the compatibility thing.

45 Posts

March 7th, 2007 04:00

Hi,

I'm replying to both the previous messages here...

Backup to CD is a good suggestion - but I was just trying to streamline the process and I've already purchased the cable so I want to make the technology work - know what I mean?

No, the problem with the drivers is with the XP machine. Windows Easy Transfer is native to Vista.

Thanks for your suggestions,

-P

12K Posts

March 7th, 2007 05:00

The Device manager would teel you if it is a driver issue but I am leaning towards UAC (User Account Control) or a networking issue.  Does this device require that you create shares so the data can move back and forth along with the appropriate permissions?

45 Posts

March 7th, 2007 06:00

Hi,

No, the device doesn't require the creation of 'shares'. It's supposed to be plug and play from what I have read online. The device manager indicates that the driver was not installed properly - despite the fact that I installed the software following all installation instructions exactly.

I'm not a programmer so I really don't get why software that is designed for an XP machine won't properly load and support new hardware. I'm baffled.

Thanks for your input,

-P

12K Posts

March 7th, 2007 12:00

Please reread my response.  I know that Device Manager does not require shares to be created, but the "Device" (cable) might or at least require you to enable file and print sharing with the "Everyone" permission enabled.

Check your firewall to see if that is properly configured also.
No Events found!