Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 9th, 2015 10:00

Sleep Mode and Shut Down not working properly after Windows 10 upgrade.

I am extremely frustrated with the issue my computer has developed ever since I upgraded to Windows 10. I have a Dell Inspiron 7537 and any time I try to close my laptop lid, thus activating the sleep mode, the monitor turns off but the computer does not fully go into sleep mode. I can still hear the fan running and my light-up keyboard remains lit. In addition, if leave it with the lid closed for a long time, upon attempting to wake the computer, I find that it is overheating and won't wake up. I have to hold down the power button and force shutdown. Because of this issue I resorted to powering down the laptop, however, I experienced similar problems. When I click the Windows key and elect the Power - Shut down feature, I get the same problems as described above.

I have tried everything to resolve this issue. I have updated all my drivers, including video, bios, chipset, etc. I have uninstalled Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver. I have tried changing all the power options to high performance, then balanced performance, etc. I have contacted Dell support who have run all sorts of scans but no resolution. I have contacted Microsoft Answer Desk several times and they have been completely useless. Very quickly you can determine that they don't know what they are doing. One agent suggested that I simply create a new account. When that didn't fix the issue she disconnected the remote connection.

Can someone please help? Any suggestions? Even if it's to tell me that it is an issue that currently doesn't have a solution but will eventually. I feel like I'm going nuts Googling solutions that never work.

13 Posts

October 9th, 2015 20:00

I had the exact same issue I know how frustrating it can be. Initially I removed my video/graphics driver and installed the driver compatible for Windows 8.1- 64 bit (from dell driver download page). It resolved the issue. Few days ago I installed the updated driver for windows 10 64bit, posted in the dell driver page. Still it is okay and sleep/hibernation is working properly, I think it should also work for you. Please let me know if it works and if you need further assistance.

Thanks,

Nazmul

9 Posts

October 10th, 2015 15:00

This might work of the driver mentionedin another reply does not.

en.community.dell.com/.../19649597

371 Posts

October 13th, 2015 05:00

i got 3542, and there are other systems that this advice has helped.

this is only for people who have upgraded to win 10

go to control panel

uninstall program

uninstall

intel rapid storage

intel security assist

intel management engine

reboot

u may have to go to " advanced system settings" (after opening control panel, type advanced system settings in search, the upgrade options are under the hardware tab)  and make sure Microsoft is not automatically upgrading ur drivers.

3 Posts

October 14th, 2015 16:00

Thanks for the help Nazmul,

I tried this fix and it worked at first. After about four days, I was getting ready to thank you when the problem surfaced again. At first it was only happening a few times randomly. But after a few more days it was back to the original issue.

Thanks anyway. 

13 Posts

October 14th, 2015 16:00

Sorry to hear that! Have you tried installing the latest driver from Dell site? If not then remove your current driver and also remove all files related to that driver. Then try installing the latest driver. It may work. Good luck.

3 Posts

October 14th, 2015 17:00

That is exactly what I did. I completely uninstalled the Intel and NVIDIA video/graphics drivers and reinstalled the latest respective drivers from Dell. I'm going to try jessy.holiday's fix.

2 Posts

April 7th, 2016 20:00

I had similar issues after upgrading to the latest BIOS version A09. After many hours with Dell techs and resetting my system and reinstalling Windows 8.1, the issue persisted. I found a thread (en.community.dell.com/.../19665284) which suggested downgrading the bios to A07.  The older Bios can be found at downloads.dell.com/.../inspiron-11-3147-laptop.html.

Once you install bios version A09, the system will give you a a blue screen boot error when it restarts. after restarting once or twice it goes to diagnostic mode and you can do a reset (reinstallation of Windows 10) with the option to keep your files (although you lose you installed programs)

1 Message

January 23rd, 2018 23:00

Although this question is 2,5 years old, it still occurs on my Win 10 (no upgrade) Dell Latitude 7480. I did all driver re-install and upgrade as described in this thread, but nothing helped and my company's IT gave up.

Then I found a workaround - annoying but so far my best option:

1. After starting my laptop, I open Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\System Settings
  2. Then I change one (any) of the selected values in the drop down to any other **bleep**
  3. Then I change that **bleep** back to the original
  4. Click "Save changes"

And believe it or not - no settings ended up changed, but they now seem to become "active": when I now close the lid of my laptop, the behavior actually follows the settings I had configured for it (in my case: "Do nothing").

No Events found!