Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

1 Message

May 27th, 2019 20:00

How to Play Blu-ray Movies on Windows 10 PC?

Windows 10 brings a lot of good stuff to the table, but it also takes away some key functionality that Windows 7 users might miss. In Windows 10, you have to say goodbye to Windows Media Center and with it, the ability to play DVDs natively. Fortunately, there are always solutions out there that allow us to watch DVDs in Windows 10 for free. But what if you want to play Blu-ray discs in Windows 10 since it still can not play Blu-ray directly? Yeah, with the pulling of support for the software in Windows 10, it become more difficult to play Blu-ray discs on your computer. So what are we going to do about it? Read on for details.

As for media support, Windows 10 gets native support for MKV and High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC). But still there is no Blu-Ray playback support. However, that doesn't mean you have to live without Blu-Ray movies with Windows 10. There are plenty of free Blu-Ray player for Windows 10. This article introduces professional & free Blu-Ray Player for Windows 10 and a detailed guide to help you watch, open, play Blu-Ray in Windows 10 easily.

Note: The first thing you need is to get a Blu-ray drive or Blu-ray disc player. There are plenty of them available, and they'll work with the Windows PCs without any problem. Note that the DVD drive cannot play Blu-ray discs.

Method 1: Use Third Party Optical Blu-ray Disc Players to Play Blu-ray Discs in Windows 10 for free

VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as DVDs, Audio CDs, VCDs, and various protocols. And by adding AACS and BD+ DRM libraries and keys, VLC can play most of Blu-Ray movies. Here is a complete guide on how to enable VLC to play Blu-Ray in Windows 10.

Method 2: Use professional Blu Ray Player for Windows 10 to play Blu Ray on Windows 10

Step 1: Free download UFUShare Windows 10 Blu-ray Player, Install and launch it.

Step 2: Add Blu-Ray movies to Blu Ray Player for Windows 10

The Windows 10 Blu Ray Player supports loading video from Blu-Ray disc, Blu-Ray folder or IFO file. Click “Open Disc” or “Open File” button to load your Blu-Ray movies.

Step 3: Play Blu-Ray movies on Windows 10

When movie is loaded, you can play Blu-Ray movies with outstanding and perfect video quality.

June 10th, 2019 15:00

I downloaded and installed VLC and got DVD playback running ok. However I can't get it to play back blu ray disc's even though it has an option to play back in the menu. I downloaded and created an aacs folder in the local app directory but I can't get it to play at all. Has anyone else managed to get VLC to play back blu ray disc's or is there another freeware player out there somewhere that I have failed to find.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 20th, 2019 10:00

Blue Ray has digital Rights Management and changing encryption certificates.

VLC has never played AACS encrypted blueray.

There is no support for piracy or hand brake or violation of the Digital Milenium Copyright Act here and never will be.

The fix is to buy a USB2 blueray drive that comes with Cyberlink Powerdvd playback software.

The cost of the drive is the same as the cost of buying the software without a drive.

https://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd-ultra/features_en_US.html

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-8x-external-usb-2-0-blu-ray-disc-double-layer-dvdrw-cd-rw-disc-rewriter-black/9243009.p?skuId=9243009

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 1st, 2019 06:00

VLC DOES NOT WORK with windows 10 and Blueray.

Blue-ray disks are protected by AACS ENCRYPTION.

You have to update firmware on drive and playback software because the KEY is updated all the time.

Cyberlink POWERDVD versions before 12 are no longer supported or updated.  Cyberlink DOES NOT PROVIDE updates for OEM versions.

http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/aacs/index.jsp

July 8th, 2019 00:00

There are 2 versions of VLC on Windows 10 The UWP version, which is the version you download from Windows Store. The Desktop version, which is the version you download from official VLC website. The desktop version is full featured. The UWP version lacks certain features. So if you can’t play blue-ray with the UWP version, try install the desktop version.

14 Posts

July 8th, 2019 11:00

The best player for Blu ray will be Cyberlink Power DVD.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 10th, 2019 04:00

Specific USB 2.0 Blueray drive works with all dells from 2006 to 2019.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-8x-external-usb-2-0-blu-ray-disc-double-layer-dvdrw-cd-rw-disc-rewriter-black/9243009.p?skuId=9243009

The reason I recommend this drive is that it comes with Power DVD 12 and plays blueray disks for windows 7 or 8 or 10 at the same cost as buying the Cyberlink software by itself.

1 Message

August 6th, 2019 22:00

Here is a simple, short and easy way to do so :

Open VLC media player > Media > Open Disc.

Select Blu-ray from the choice, and then browse to locate the folder which has the movie.

Start playing Blu-ray movies on Windows with VLC.

August 27th, 2019 07:00

I downloaded the trial version of VLC for PC windows 10 version. The problem is I am not watching blu ray movie and I am playing blu ray audio with no video content. Some of the blu ray audio such as Rolling Stones Grrrr, Supertramp Breakfast in America, etc. It just wouldn't play. So what is the issue here? But after tried u2usoft blu-ray player, the movie played smoothly, but it is not free, only for trial, so i just bought a lifetime version,thanks. 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 28th, 2019 07:00

There is no such thing as " trial version of VLC"

VLC is free.

It does not however play Blueray Disks.

Plays most codecs with no codec packs needed - MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264, MKV, WebM, WMV, MP3.  But not BDAV or BD-AV (Blu-ray Disc Audio/Visual) aka AVCHC encrypted codec. AVCHD high definition video on a standard disc. It uses the Blu-ray disc format and requires a Blu-ray player. 

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/

https://get.videolan.org/vlc/3.0.8/win64/vlc-3.0.8-win64.exe

May 20th, 2020 10:00

VLC dose NOT work! EVERY time I look for info people always suggest this program and it never has and never will work! 

Right now I keep getting this error

"This Blu-ray Disc needs a library for AACS decoding, and your system does not have it."

and apparently the only way to fix this is by downloading stuff from some sketchy sites (since I guess VLC themselves can't be bothered) and then go into the folders and edit stuff.... no, just no. I am NOT jumping through a ton of hops just to get this program to work.

August 14th, 2020 04:00

This is because not all the commercial Blu-ray discs are supported by VLC media player so that you might encounter the problem from time to time. VLC can only play Blu-ray discs which its library has the corresponding AACS keys, yet the AACS and BD+ DRM libraries and keys won't ship with the Blu-ray discs, as their publishers seem to take everyone as a pirate, even you already spend money just for personnel movie enjoyment.

August 15th, 2020 02:00

For playing Blu-ray on Windows PC, I wanna recommend VLC media player. Actually, VLC doesn't offer direct support for Blu-ray disc, but the 2.0 and later version of VLC support Blu-ray media playback with some extra operations. So, it is possible to get VCL play blu-ray on Windows (Windows 10).

1. Open VLC media player > Media > Open Disc.

2. SelectBlu-ray from the choice, and then browse to locate the folder which has the movie.

3. Start playing Blu-ray movies on Windows with VLC.

Besides VCL,  DAPlayer is also a good choice. It supports more than 320 video codecs and allows you to create all kinds of customized controls. It requires a bit of work to set up and get going, but is otherwise very easy to use and an excellent choice when starting out.

No Events found!