Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

March 2nd, 2018 06:00

Cant access any system folder, Dell recovery Partition has took over them

After adding a 2nd drive to a work machine, all folders on the C became hidden except recovery folder. After unhiding all the system files such as windows, users, program files etc, I cant access any of them that has a padlock icon next to it as it comes up that it is part of the dell recovery partition

Any help would be appreciated 

AdamC.PNGDell Recovery.PNG

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 2nd, 2018 07:00

It would be nice to have a picture but I know it is hard to do that.  So, could you tell us what procedure you used to add this drive?  Is the drive reference meant to imply and additional partition on the same physical drive or a new physical drive?

What computer model?

2 Posts

March 2nd, 2018 07:00

Thanks for getting back to me, i've inserted the images onto the original post for you to take a look at.

It was a new physical drive from another pc so i connected it up and formatted the drive to blank to add as a data drive along side the current SSD. After adding the drive I  rebooted and then once i went in to the C drive the structure looked like the attached picture, majority of folders are inaccessible directly (Any folder with the padlock) come up with the dell image when clicked into. I can access them by going through a program and browsing to them however so the files still exist within them folders.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 2nd, 2018 11:00

If you remove the second drive, does your system go back to normal?

I can't of anything which would result in what you are seeing.  Have you used a third party partition manager?  Are you sure when you cleaned the drive you selected the correct drive?  I see padlocks on my Win 7 install but I can still access those files..

The images are only viewable by the poster.  I tried earlier and the same thing happened to me.  I could see the image in the post and on my profile but it was reported as just a triangle, which I see two of on your initial post.

No Events found!