Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

30 Posts

June 1st, 2021 07:00

WD19, Ethernet port disconnects after sleep mode

Good day, for last couple of months, my laptop is experiencing a disconnect-state from the WD19 ethernet port. I first thought it was the computer itself having difficulty so I simply plug the network cable into the laptop's own ethernet port but the sleep-mode routine does not reproduce this issue it only happens when using the WD19 and it's ethernet port. 

In Windows Event logs I also have numerous warning entries: "EventID 1", "Source rt640x64", "\Device\NDMP3\Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller is disconnected from network." and the timestamps correspond with when the laptop went to sleep-mode. 

Cyberflake_4-1622558964381.png

The frustration is that the only possible way to "re-connect", is to power-cycle the WD19 itself because unplugging the ethernet cable, the USB-C cable(connected to the laptop), does not bring the connection back. What is also interesting is that Windows seems to think that it is still connected:

Cyberflake_0-1622558622289.png

Cyberflake_1-1622558739869.png

Cyberflake_2-1622558868686.png

Supplemental:

- The WD19's Firmware is already up-to-date:

Cyberflake_3-1622558915586.png

- I have already tried toggling this setting as described on this support article but it does not seem to have any effect on the issue =

WD19/WD19S series dock Ethernet Port May Intermittently Disconnect when Flow Control is Disabled

- All computer drivers are up-to-date, using Windows Updates, using Dell Support App, using Dell Update App, and using Dell Driver checks via support pages. 

- Windows is also up-to-date with the latest official public channel build: "Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19043.985]".

- Windows Store Apps, all updated.

- Have done full anti-virus scans. (nothing found).

- Have tried sfc /scannow. (nothing corrupt).

- Have done DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image / ScanHealth. (nothing wrong). 

Thank you. 

1 Message

September 15th, 2021 09:00

OK. Dealing with this since October '20 when I got a 5410 and WD19 and I think I finally found the answer.

Forget about power settings, BIOS, event log, etc. Waste of time.

Go to Device Manager, Network adapters, Realtek USB GbE Family Controller. You'll notice the driver is developed by Realtek, right-click, select Uninstall, and check the box that says delete files from disk.

Give it a few seconds to recompose, then Action, scan for hardware changes. The Realtek USB GbE Family Controller will appear again. Big difference, however, the driver is from Microsoft (right-click, Properties).

As long as the driver is from Microsoft, you will not lose Ethernet at the dock after a power save event.

How do you keep it that way? Well, two pesky pieces of software that came with your 5410 are determined to give Realtek another chance. So here's what you need to do:

- In Dell Command | Update, go to the cog on the upper right corner, Update filter, Device Category, and uncheck Audio and Network and Bluetooth. Click OK. That comes with the understanding that you will have to update drivers manually for these categories of course.

But you are not done, and for weeks I kept wondering what else could be covertly updating a driver I explicitly filtered out. Well, that is

- SupportAssist. Open it and click the cog on the upper right corner, choose Settings, Automate scans and optimizations, and uncheck Scan your system and drivers at. So essentially, do not do any unauthorized updates to my computer. Yes, again that means you do some driver updating manually. But again, no automated piece of half-thought software is going to bypass the driver filters you explicitly set to omit.

OK, so with that my WD Ethernet works and will continue to work after a power save event.

1 Rookie

• 

30 Posts

June 1st, 2021 08:00

Okay, so I noticed that the events above are not related to the issue itself as they point to the PCI ethernet port, not the USB Port(WD19). - Wish I could edit the ticket.

Community Manager

• 

54.7K Posts

June 4th, 2021 08:00

* Press Windows + X
* Click Device Manager
* Open Network adapters
* Find your Ethernet connection/adapter in the list
* Double-click it
* Click the Power Management tab
* Remove checks from the following =
Reduce link speed during battery operation
Energy Efficient Ethernet
Reduce link speed during system idle

* Note, I am using Intel Ethernet, so you may have other options to disable

1 Rookie

• 

30 Posts

June 5th, 2021 08:00

Hi Chris,

No. The Laptop's ethernet works as expected. The reason why the event log is showing it disconnecting is because there is no ethernet cable plugged into it. It's instead plugged into the WD19 Ethernet Port. So in summary: when the computer goes into sleep mode, the WD19's Ethernet Port does not "return to life" which is the issue I'm experiencing, where as if the cable is plugged into the laptop directly, then the the ethernet does continue to work as expected, when waking up. 

Here is another screenshot when the WD19 Ethernet "is down", so all i then do is power cycle the WD19 to make the ethernet work again:

Cyberflake_0-1622906542960.png

Pertaining to your instructions - I understand that you want me to change some settings for the WD19 Ethernet:

Cyberflake_1-1622907009608.png

The driver version:

Cyberflake_2-1622907134063.png

Under the Advanced Tab I've applied the following changes, so please correct me if I did wrong:

• Adaptive LInk Speed: Disabled (unchanged)
  • Advanced EEE: Disabled (unchanged)
  • ARP Offload: Enabled (unchanged)
  • Battery Mode Link Speed: Not Speed Down (unchanged) - Which I assume is the same as what you instructed.
  • Energy-Efficient Ethernet: Disabled (Changed from Enable to Disable)
  • Flow Control: Rx & Tx Enabled (unchanged)
  • Green Ethernet: Enabled (unchanged)
  • Idle Power Saving: Disabled (Changed from Enable to Disable) - Which I assume is the same as what you instructed.
  • IPv4 Checksum Offload: Rx & Tx Enabled (unchanged)
  • Jumbo Frame: Disabled (unchanged)
  • Large Send Offload v2 (IPv4): Enabled (unchanged)
  • Large Send Offload v2 (IPv6): Enabled (unchanged)
  • Modern Standby WoL Magic Packet: Disabled (unchanged)
  • Network Address: Not Present (unchanged)
  • NS Offload: Enabled (unchanged)
  • Priority & VLAN: Priority & VLAN Enabled (unchanged)
  • Shutdown Wake-On-Lan: Enabled (unchanged)
  • Speed & Duplex: Auto Negotiation (unchanged)
  • TCP Checksum Offload (IPv4): Rx & Tx Enabled (unchanged)
  • TCP Checksum Offload (IPv6): Rx & Tx Enabled (unchanged)
  • UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4): Rx & Tx Enabled (unchanged)
  • UDP Checksum Offload (IPv6): Rx & Tx Enabled (unchanged)
  • VLAN ID: Not Present (unchanged)
  • Wake on link change: Enabled (unchanged)
  • Wake on Magic Packet: Enabled (unchanged)
  • Wake on pattern match: Enabled (unchanged)
  • WOL & Shutdown Link Speed: 10 Mbps First (unchanged)

Due to these changed, I'll apply it, restart and observe for a day or two and report back again. 

Thank you.

1 Rookie

• 

30 Posts

June 6th, 2021 03:00

The above changes did not have any effect. Please advise. 

• 

25.5K Posts

June 8th, 2021 04:00

Hi there, please confirm if the issue remains the same after trying the suggested steps? 

July 12th, 2021 00:00

We have exactly the same issue as described by CyberFlake.
Our setup is:

Latitude 5410
WD19 docking station

2 Posts

July 19th, 2021 07:00

I have the same problem; when my XPS 9570 wakes up from sleeping being connected to WD 19, Ethernet says it is connected but I had to disable and enable the device by myself to have the working connection.

1 Message

July 30th, 2021 19:00

We are seeing the same problem with our Dell WD19TB docks and the commonality we have found is Realtek. That is what is new with the new laptops we ordered. Numerous people are having this issue coming from sleep and being connected to the Dock. It is unfortunate with their new shiny laptops that this is happening.

The network in the dock gets an IP address, can ping itself, ping the gateway, but nothing further than the gateway. If you disconnect and reconnect, can resolve, if you reboot, resolves.

We have been testing various things and we found that disabling flow control under the advanced settings appears to fix this for us. We have been unable to reproduce the issue since making that change.

@Cyberflake I see you haven't tried disabling this yet in your advanced tab list, try that out and let us know if that fixes it for you too.

• Flow Control: Rx & Tx Enabled (unchanged) - change that to Disabled.

We really hope that this issue can get resolved, we have tried multiple things and this is the only fix we have found. Ideally we have updated drivers from Dell that resolve this problem or some other avenue. Realtek is used by a lot of vendors like USB network dongles and this setting has to be applied to every single network adapter, any new one connected, have to apply this setting to that new network adapter. Changed to a different dock? reapply the fix again.

We are on the latest Dell drivers, latest dock firmware, latest thunderbolt drivers, etc. We also have tried the latest drivers from Realtek site directly and doesn't resolve.

Please advise @DELL-Cares 

September 23rd, 2021 00:00

I can confirm that this works for us as well.
Thank you for sharing in such detail!

1 Message

December 7th, 2021 06:00

Do you have a suggestion of what to do if there is no Microsoft driver? For me, it always reinstalls the Realtek driver and if I try to manually choose a different driver, the Realtek one is the only one that shows up.

1 Message

February 24th, 2022 09:00

To be clear, the drivers from Microsoft will say realtek they will just come from microsoft and be the one thats supposed to work on that device.

23 Posts

April 10th, 2022 02:00

6 Posts

April 11th, 2022 21:00

There's a possibility that your Ethernet connection is not enabled to wake on magic packet. For us to isolate this, let's look into the advanced settings of your network adapter.

1 Rookie

• 

30 Posts

April 12th, 2022 02:00

Amazing how many people are impacted and how many times this forum this was viewed. 

Since running Windows 11 my laptop device, I'm using actual updated drivers provided through DellUpdate/SupportAssist, meaning I'm not using the Microsoft provided driver since, which initially did fix my issue back on Windows 10. 

I continue to keep firmware updated for both laptop and WD19. 

No Events found!