Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

December 20th, 2005 09:00

Wild tangent

Can someone tell me why Dell is installing Wild tangent on all its new PC's? I thought this was spyware.

Am I wrong?

2K Posts

December 20th, 2005 09:00

Companies pay Dell $$$$$ to install programs on new computers, customers get what Dell puts on it. (adware included)

Then Dell makes it difficult to do a clean install of the OS by not providing the reinstall CD.

If you don't like it, request a Windows XP CD from Dell, and do a clean install of your OS. Also, it's best to get a reinstall CD, anyway, in case your Hard drive dies.

We pay for low prices in the long run.

Community Manager

• 

54.6K Posts

December 22nd, 2005 16:00

TechGuyXP,

* The Dell Games Console provided by Wild Tangent is not spyware. The Dell Games Console ships on Inspiron and Dimension systems only and provides a direct link to Wild Tangent's gaming site . The Dell Games Console is an easy way to try the latest puzzle, word, and action games. It is pre-loaded on selected Dell systems and is accessed by clicking on the Play Games icon on the desktop.

* Go here for the Dell Wild Tangent privacy policy.

2K Posts

December 22nd, 2005 21:00

To all: Sorry if I was mistaken. I based my opinion on this:

HERE

Happy Holidays!!! :)

1 Message

January 13th, 2006 18:00

Just this morning my security software suite identified Wild Tangent as a non-threatening ad ware application that it recommended I remove.  When you visit the Wild Tangent web site they make no b ones about it that they use their game software as an advertising opportunity:

"WildTangent is the leading provider of advertising through games solutions. WildTangent's advertising offering is comprised of 'In Game', 'Around Game', and 'Custom Game' campaigns. WildTangent lists the majority of the top 25 Leading National Advertisers among its client base, including: Nike, Coke, Pepsi, Daimler Chrysler, Ford, GM, Honda, Toyota, Visa, Oakley, Unilever, Fox, Discovery and others. "

I find it incongruous that Dell on one hand promotes security software in many of it's PC offerings, and then loads this software on my new laptop.

E. Molina

No Events found!