Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

10 Elder

• 

44.2K Posts

May 1st, 2014 22:00

Spybot S&D ??

Downloaded and attempted to install free version of Spybot S&D v2.3 from www.safer-networking.org/ on system running Win 8.1 Update, but it failed to unpack correctly, giving error code 2, essential files missing.

So I went to http://spybot-search-destroy.en.softonic.com and downloaded version 2.2 which also failed with the same error messages.

Back at first link, I found a link for v1.62 and that installed and runs correctly with Win 8.1U.

Anybody else have this problem or know why..?

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

May 2nd, 2014 05:00

Ron,

If I may be allowed to ask, why the interest in SpyBot?

Years ago, I used to use Spybot 1.x.   In its heyday (well over a decade ago), it was --- along with AdAware --- among the two most popular/useful anti-spyware programs.   As development of v2 dragged on "forever", and as more conflicts/slowdowns gradually started to appear with XP, I found myself disabling/removing its various modules, one at a time, until I finally gave up on the program's value.

When 2.x finally went mainstream, I gave it a quick lookover, and didn't see anything that impressed me.   And Neil Rubenking of PC Mag reviewed the product, declaring it to be "dismal" http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2412372,00.asp 

If you're looking for a modern anti-malware program, the top name (in my opinion) is MBAM.   Granted, they may have rushed the release of v2 --- their forum is full of many complaints.   You might want to TEST that, to see how it feels to you.   Alternatively, you should still be able to locate copies of v1.75, which is highly polished, and still supported with database updates.   [Note:  If you opt for v1.75, be sure to adjust its settings NOT to automatically update the program, lest you quickly find yourself with v2.]   Caveat:   I don't know about compatibility of v1.75 with 8.1U --- you'll need to investigate that first.

20.5K Posts

May 2nd, 2014 10:00

Hi Ron,

t Spybot 1.65 installed last night it found a PUP that MBAM with latest definitions, and run immediately ahead of SB, didn't find. "Candy (something)"

If it was OpenCandy, MBAM finds that. Seems odd it didn't for you...

10 Elder

• 

44.2K Posts

May 2nd, 2014 10:00

I use both MBAM and Spybot. My experience has been that on occasion Spybot finds things MBAM doesn't and vice-versa.

In fact, after I got Spybot 1.65 installed last night it found a PUP that MBAM with latest definitions, and run immediately ahead of SB, didn't find. "Candy (something)" PUP, which apparently came along for the ride with ImgBurn (or at least that PUP was hiding in the ImgBurn folder).

That said, I don't like v2 of MBAM either.

Just surprised me that the newest version of SB wouldn't install in Win 8.1U but the earlier version did. And I prefer the earlier SB version's GUI too. So updating doesn't always mean better. :emotion-4:

No Events found!