Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 7th, 2008 23:00

PC Tools Spyware Doctor Available Free

A free version of Spyware Doctor is available from Google Pack.  I haven't seen anyone mention this before.

5.8K Posts

January 8th, 2008 00:00

njs 1:

While Spyware Doctor is considered a reputable program, I have to say I was less than impressed with its trial version a while back. All it found was several false positives. Unlike most reputable programs, which offer a fully functional trial, Spy Doctor required that I purchase the program to delete these false positive detections. Using false positives as a goad to purchase fulfills my criteria for a "rogue" program:
http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=si_virus&message.id=63702

The fact that SD is free when bundled with Google Pack was mentioned in the same thread linked to above. I have to admit my bias that Google Pack is not something I would want or recommend:

From the Google Pack EULA ( emphasis added):
-----------------------------------
"TERMS & CONDITIONS
Welcome to Google! This software will be installed using the Google Updater, which is included in the Google Pack...

Protecting users' privacy is very important to Google and the Third Parties.  As a condition of downloading and using the Software, you agree to the terms of the Google Pack Privacy Policy at http://pack.google.com/intl/en/policy_info.html?hl=en&gl=ca, which may be updated from time to time and without notice.  Information collected by Google or Third Parties in connection with your use of the Software may be stored and processed in the United States or any other country in which Google, its agents, the Third Parties or their agents maintain facilities.

Accordingly, by using the Software you consent to any transfer of such information outside of your country.  You acknowledge and agree that Google and/or Third Parties may access, preserve, and disclose your account information if required to do so by law or in a good faith belief that such access preservation or disclosure is reasonably necessary to: (a) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request, (b) enforce these Terms and Conditions, including investigation of potential violations hereof, (c) detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues (including, without limitation, the filtering of spam), (d) respond to user support requests, or (e) protect the rights, property or safety of Google, its users, Third Parties, their users, and the public.  Neither Google nor any Third Party will be responsible or liable for the exercise or non-exercise of rights under these Terms and Conditions...

The Software may communicate with Google servers and/or Third Party servers from time to time to check for available updates to the Software, such as bug fixes, patches, enhanced functions, missing plug-ins and new versions (collectively, "Updates" ).  By installing the Software, you agree to automatically request and receive Updates."
--------------------------------------------------------------

No Events found!