Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 21st, 2012 06:00

Conflict notice McAfee & Norton Internet Security 2012

I purchased a new Dell computer with windows 8............................it came pre-loaded with McAfee Security.

I wanted to install my Norton Internet Security 2012 on my new computer and once I got past the issued of of NIS 2012 not being compatible with Windows 8, I got a notice during the install that NIS 2012 had a conflict with McAfee and McAfee would need to be deleted.

I was provided with option of going ahead and installing NIS 2012 and not deleting McAfee but I was afraid of the possible consequences since they recommended McAfee be deleted.

I do not want to take the chance of deleting McAfee and then not having NIS 2012 work with windows 8.

I have several questions:

Should I just keep McAfee and forgo NIS 2012?

Is McAfee a better program?

Do you see installing NIS 2012 with Windows 8 to be a problem.

If I delete McAfee and NIS 2012 does not work properly can I recover the McAfee program from the McAfee Website given the fact that it was pre-loaded by Dell without incurring additional expense to me.

All help will certainly be appreciated.

Thanks

2K Posts

November 21st, 2012 07:00

Hi rsee2025,

I would like to suggest that both McAfee and NIS 2012 are good Antivirus. So whichever antivirus you feel good you can keep it.

The NIS 2012 doesn’t have any problem with windows 8 operating system but you might be using an older version of Antivirus which might not be compatible with windows 8 (if you are using a CD) and that is why the error appears, so you can visit the Norton website, login with the user id and password that you used at the time of registration and download the antivirus.

I request you to visit the McAfee website and register first. Then whenever you want to recover it visit the website again and enter the user id and password that you used at the time of registering and download the program. But if it is a trail version you may want to continue with Norton.

If you have any further questions please reply to the same post.

23 Posts

November 28th, 2012 11:00

Hi rsee2025,

I don't know if you've resolved your NIS 2012 issue yet (DELL-Kiran K provides a very good follow-up strategy), but I thought I'd add my two cents' worth...

I bought a Dell Inspiron 620 MT back in May (too soon to take advantage of the Win 8 Pro upgrade offer) which came with McAfee.  However, I also have a laptop that came with an older version of McAfee AV Plus which I found was a bit of a resource hog.  Rather than renewing McAfee, I purchased a 3-PC license for Norton Internet Security 2012 via Amazon.com (they had a great deal at the time) and replaced the McAfee trial software with NIS on the Dell Inspiron 620.  The one-year NIS subscription includes any product upgrades during the year, meaning when NIS 2013 became available I was able to upgrade for free.  NIS 2013 is compatible with Windows 8.  So if your NIS 2012 subscription is still current, you should be able to upgrade to NIS 2013 without any issues.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Juan M.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

My advice would be to register with My Dell Downloads. You should be able to download the McAfee installer from there.

Uninstall McAfee, restart the computer and then use the McAfee Removal Tool

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Restart the computer and then attempt to install your Norton.

I have moved this thread to the Virus and Spyware discussion forum for better advice.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

Just to clarify, you DO need to make a decision, which ONE you want to keep:   Only one anti-virus program should be installed and running in real-time on a computer system.

If you attempt to run two (or more) simultaneously, it will result in

1) slowdowns, as both programs will each attempt to protect you, each analyzing every file you access/write.

2) conflicts, if a virus/malware is found, and each one plays "tug-of-war" with the other, each insisting on moving the virus to its quarantine.

Even if you try to arrange for only one to be running in real-time, intending to keep the other around as a "secondary scanner", there's still potential for slowdown and conflicts, as each program installs drivers and services that can still be present and/or running without you realizing it.

In short, ONLY ONE (RealTime) ANTIVIRUS.   TWO is NOT better than ONE!!!

So you need to decide.   As for which one to keep, that's a matter of user preference.   Each of Norton and McAfee has its avid fans, and avid detractors.   You will have to decide which one you want.

I believe that if you register an account with McAfee, you will be able to re-download, re-install it if you wish to do so... but I would suggest you wait for forum member RedDawn to advise you on this.

===

EDIT:   I mis-read an earlier post in this thread, imagining I saw a word there that was not actually present.   My initial response was based on that incorrect interpretation.   I have since edited my post to reflect a more appropriate response, and in so doing, apologize for any confusion [or offense] that may have resulted.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 28th, 2012 16:00

Hi rsee2025,

As mentioned above, if your system came with a McAfee subscription (not just a trial version), it will ask you to create an online (McAfee) account to register that subscription. You can then uninstall McAfee from your system, and re-install from your McAfee account, as many times as you need, for the duration of your subscription.

How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR)

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

It's also correct that once you have a valid license for Norton, you are entitled to a free upgrade to the latest release of your Norton software.

Norton Update Center

http://updatecenter.norton.com/

No Events found!