Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

September 11th, 2006 17:00

Be wary of "noadware"

I would ignore the advice to download this questionable program, as frequently recommended by a recent poster.

It is not a "free" adware or spyware removal program, but is a come-on to purchase.

Its value has been seriously questioned by this reputable site: http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#naw_note

3 Apprentice

• 

8.8K Posts

September 11th, 2006 18:00

@joe53 wrote:
I would ignore the advice to download this questionable program, as frequently recommended by a recent poster.
It is not a "free" adware or spyware removal program, but is a come-on to purchase.
Its value has been seriously questioned by this reputable site: http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#naw_note

I totally support Joe....this program is pure JUNK.

Wanna waste some money, buy it..

ZB1

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

September 11th, 2006 18:00

while I personally have (little or) no experience with NoAdware, I've been around these forums long enough to know that when Joe53 speaks, people should heed and trust his word.

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

September 13th, 2006 13:00

Actually...

From Spyware Warrior:
"Over the past few months, NoAdware has taken aggressive steps to reign in its affiliates (who were primarily responsible for the unsavory advertising) and released a new version of NoAdware (version 3.0) that addresses our concerns with false positves. Given these changes we can no longer regard NoAdware as "rogue/suspect" anti-spyware."

Lavasoft (Ad-aware) took it out of their database in a recent update:
SE1R120 24.08.2006

"Please note that we have removed NoAdware from the definitions file as the mandatory probation period is over."
http://www.castlecops.com/postlite120077-noadware.html

That is not to say NoAdware is the best thing since sliced bread. IMO why pay for something when a combination of free software like Ad-aware and Spybot does a better job in the first place?

Edited to fix grammar.

Message Edited by Bugbatter on 09-13-200610:33 AM

3 Apprentice

• 

8.8K Posts

September 13th, 2006 13:00

Point taken kid...

...........and we all agree with the fact that there are free porgams like you pointed out that are more effective.

Steve

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

September 13th, 2006 22:00

Of course Bugbatter is correct-  his Spyware Warrior quote is taken directly from the first paragraph in the link I gave above. (which is why I specifically didn't call it a rogue program).

Interesting that noadware.com is still listed in the suspect websites though- and noadware certainly didn't make the "recommended" list.

The download site is also deceptive in advertising it as a "free" scanner, when clearly you must buy it to remove its detections (only evident after downloading the program).

I actually did download and run noadware, which detected a " severe" infected registry key (for Spygraphica)  in HKLM\Software\Windows. Not surprisingly this was was not detected by Spybot, Adaware SE,  HJT,  ewido, nor by a direct search of the registry. 

An innocent FP? Or a goad to buy? Do you really want to use a program recently taken off probation from Adaware's list, and removed from Spyware Warrior's Rogue list? Has this leopard really changed its spots?

As I said..."be wary"

[edit: thanks for the plug, ky331]

Message Edited by joe53 on 09-14-200601:10 AM

508 Posts

September 21st, 2006 17:00

It has done an excellent job for me and my clients. But not one of them has bought it I teach them how to fix them manually.

37 Posts

December 16th, 2006 16:00

Sorry I didn't read this before I purchased it (ver. 5.0). Main thing that concerns me is that it not be a malicious program, which apparently it is not.
However, it did find malware that SEEMS to be the problem that has been vexing my computer for a couple of days. I could have gone to regedit and taken out the problem manually, but instead I said ehh, what the heck and bought the thing for 40 bucks.
Still am not 100% sure it found my problem, so I ran "hichackthis" and have posted the log in the hijackthis forum.
I also have spybot and adaware, so maybe I should have run em first. oh well.
No Events found!