Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 11th, 2014 16:00

Configure IDRAC settings without rebooting the server

We have a dell r610. I put an IP address in its idrac last night, and pinged it, then powered up the server. Today, I can't ping the idrac IP address. Aside from going back to the site, rebooting the machine, and going into the idrac settings that way, is there a way you can access those settings and make changes while the server is up?

• 

6.2K Posts

June 11th, 2014 18:00

Hello Roger

Yes, as long as you have some way of accessing the system. If you can remote into the operating system then you can install OpenManage Server Administrator. OMSA has an iDRAC section where you can change the IP address of the iDRAC.

Installing OMSA also installs the RACADM toolset, so you will be able to run RACADM commands as well. You can use RACADM commands to perform any task that you can  do through the GUI plus a few that are not available in the GUI.

When you get OMSA installed you can check the status of the system components. If you don't see any issues then I would suggest your first troubleshooting step be to restart the iDRAC. You can restart the iDRAC independent of the system, so there will be no downtime of the server during the reboot of the iDRAC. The RACADM command to restart the iDRAC is:

racadm racreset

The RACADM command to reset the iDRAC to default configuration is:

racadm racresetcfg

Thanks

15 Posts

June 12th, 2014 11:00

Wait wait, i got it. Ya its all in DOS with the racadm commands.

This fixed my problem.

http://stuff.mit.edu/afs/athena/dept/cron/documentation/dell-server-admin/en/idrac1/chap09.htm

15 Posts

June 12th, 2014 11:00

Thanks for the reply.

I can RDP into the server, and OMSA is installed, but I don't see where the idrac section is.

RACADM is on there and I did reset it, and it changed the IP addresses back to 192.168.x.x 

Those are what I need to change. The IP address of the idrac

February 12th, 2018 20:00

Hi,

After installing OMSA, where do we set the IP address of the iDRAC? 

Regards,

Anjali

February 18th, 2018 04:00

You can change the IP and user details by going to:

System => Main System Chassis => Remote Access => Configuration Tab

No Events found!