Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

January 24th, 2004 04:00

playing a CD-ROM

When I try to play a CD-ROM I get the message "unable to load graphics conversion filter" any help out there?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 24th, 2004 09:00

It sounds like you are trying to use a CD with some type of incompatible graphics.

Please list your PC Model number and Operating System (should be on any initial post) and exactly what the CD is that won't work.  Also do other CD's, e.g. commercial music CD's, work OK?

13 Posts

January 24th, 2004 12:00

Thanks for the reply. Fireberd. My PC is model 2400. using XP home edition. This CD works fine on my son's  PC which is identical to mine. CD is a list of health care providers sent to all members of my health plan.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 24th, 2004 12:00

It still sounds like it's looking for some graphics application that is not on your PC.  Are the two EXACTLY the same or just his is also a Windows XP Operating System machine. 

Just the error you are getting is not enough to troubleshoot.  More information is needed to try and figure out what is wrong (and it's not the CD drive).  We would need to know what application on the CD is trying to load some type of graphics and what kind of graphics it is trying to load.   Many times programs like that use the Adobe pdf files and need the Adobe Acrobat Reader as that is compatible with both Mac and PC machines, just need the Acrobat reader.  Do you have the Adobe Acrobat reader installed on your PC?   Other than the Adobe pdf file issue, others usually include what is needed on the CD. 

Any listing files, that I can download, from my health provider (Blue Cross) or my employer (former employer, I'm retired) - Federal Civil Service are in the Adobe pdf format.  

13 Posts

January 24th, 2004 13:00

Only difference in my PC and my son's is that he has a DVD player mine has CD player and CD burner. Music CD's play perfect in mine. Adobe is installed on my PC. Drive reads CD untill the welcome letter comes up with links to bring up the PPO Directory then I can't get an arrow  just the cursur. Cant hit on graphic showing areas of U.S. I am also a civil service retiree.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 24th, 2004 16:00

Although it's a CD, do you have to be on-line to actually get the links?  If the other PC has DVD it also has a DVD software player but that's about the only difference, unless he has added some software that you don't have or has disabled something in his. 

If you have two drives (CD-ROM and CD-RW) have you tried using the other drive and see what happens? I'm at a loss, except that it isn't a CD drive issue, some software or configuration issue in your PC.  Do you have ALL the updates for Windows XP and any other updates that are available for the video, etc on the Dell Downloads site? 

Have you tried disabling the anitvirus software before trying to install?  Some times the antivirus software (or whatever security software) can interfere with loading programs/data.   Also, if you are not logged on to Windows XP as the Administrator or as a user with Administrator "rights" that may cause problems with some program.

I'm retired from SSA (retired in 96)

13 Posts

January 24th, 2004 16:00

Thanks again , Fireberd. I'll try everything you suggested. If I can find the time. I'm about ready to connect my old HP with windows 98 , had a lot fewer problems      bismark92

98 Posts

January 24th, 2004 23:00

Hi Bismark.  I believe that converter you need is tied in with Microsoft Word, or Office, etc.  Do you have any of those installed?  You might take a look at this site. 

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;212265

It appears that the graphics converter maybe non-installed or corrupt and needs to be reinstalled.  HTHs.  Regards

13 Posts

January 26th, 2004 02:00

I reinstalled Microsoft Word and it solved the problem.Thanks for your time.     bismark72I

13 Posts

January 26th, 2004 02:00

I reinstalled Microsoft Word and it solved the problem.  Thanks      bismark72
No Events found!