Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 10th, 2008 12:00

blank CDs use or to avoid

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding which brands of blank CDs to buy or stay away from?  I read somewhere to avoid Memorex, are there any others.  I have TDK and have been having a problem.  I need to go out and buy new ones but don't want to have a problem with them too.  Thanks for any answers.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 10th, 2008 17:00

Hi, Buffy:

Since you're asking about CDs, I'd recommend Verbatim, Maxell (if you find discs made in Japan), Taiyo Yuden (only available online, but considered the best quality CD-R, bar none).

For DVDs, Verbatim and Maxell are good. I have reservations about Fujifilm, since some of their discs are made by second-rate manufacturers, such as Ritek and Daxon.

Of course, there's the rub with all optical media. The brand name has nothing to do with the manufacturer. A good brand name might get slapped onto poor quality media, and even some off-brands, such a Memorex or Imation, can be good quality.

933 Posts

August 10th, 2008 17:00

Fujifilm thats what I use and never had a problem with them dvd+r and cd-r
Message Edited by Robert Moyer on 08-10-2008 02:29 PM

933 Posts

August 10th, 2008 18:00

Well I guess its al about what you have good luck with, With the combination

of my Plextor px712 a and Pinnacle studio 11 and Nero, plus my Fujifilm dvd+r discs 

I have had no problems making quite a few movies of our many trips we have been 

on over the years. I have never had any luck with Maxell 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 10th, 2008 19:00

Most of the Fujifilm suppliers are fine, as long as you avoid Ritek.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

August 11th, 2008 12:00

If you don't want to go the online route to buy CD-R, look for the CDs that on the packaging says are meant for music CDs. They are a bit more expensive, than generic CDs but you won't have to pay for shipping. I have some from Sony that I bought at Staples that on the package says Made in Japan.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 11th, 2008 14:00

If I may, let me chime in about the "music CD-R" question.

There is no difference between data CD-Rs and "music" CD-Rs except price, which raises the question as to who gets the extra money. Well, you won't be surprised to discover that it goes to the music companies, who in theory pass it along to the "starving artists" whose music you're copying. So buying music CD-Rs is like making a donation to the music companies, the same ones who are taking law-abiding citizens to court for copying their CDs.

So by all means, if you like donating money to greedy music companies, buy music CD-Rs.

12 Posts

August 11th, 2008 14:00

Thank you all for the informative replies.  I will go looking for the suggested brands and hopefully will be able to burn a music CD successfully.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

August 18th, 2008 13:00

@osprey4 wrote:

If I may, let me chime in about the "music CD-R" question.

There is no difference between data CD-Rs and "music" CD-Rs except price, which raises the question as to who gets the extra money. Well, you won't be surprised to discover that it goes to the music companies, who in theory pass it along to the "starving artists" whose music you're copying. So buying music CD-Rs is like making a donation to the music companies, the same ones who are taking law-abiding citizens to court for copying their CDs.

So by all means, if you like donating money to greedy music companies, buy music CD-Rs.

Yes, you are correct that there are theoretically no differences.

However, my response was in regards to buying "good" media.

I am a big believer in made-in-Japan discs.

I have not found any made-in-Japan data CD-Rs in stores.

Therefore, if someone wants made-in-Japan discs, but did not want the hassle of buying them online and paying for shipping, they can buy the "music" CD-Rs which I have found are made-in-Japan. But always check the packaging.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 18th, 2008 23:00

Agreed, the best manufacturers are in Japan. In fact, both Maxell and Verbatim (Mitsubishi) use toll manfacturers, so the only way to be sure you're getting the good stuff is to look for the "made in Japan" label.

12 Posts

August 19th, 2008 11:00

I found a real good sale at Target, 100 pack CD-R by Sony, but I saw on the label it said made in "Taiwan".  That really surprised me.  So I will keep on looking.

Thank you all again.  :smileyhappy:

No Events found!