System

Microsoft Windows XP

Home Edition

Version 2002

Service Pack 2

Dell Dimension 2400 series

Phoenix ROM BIOS Plus Version 1.10 A05

We had to install a new CD Rom. We bought a

Memorex high-speed DVD-ROM reader internal E-IDE. It was installed by a local computer technician.

When I insert the Memorex CD to load the software, or any other CD I have, into the"new" CD slot, the CD glides and closes, the CD apparatus lights up and blinks, but nothing happens. Nothing appears on my desktop.

The troubleshooting guide from Memorex gives this info:

Symptom.....

.Drive not detected by BIOS

Possible Cause....IDE connection, Jumper setting

Self Diagnostic & Repair....

Check IDE connection in back of drive, make sure cable is plugged in properly.

Check your jumper setting on drive/drives. There can only be one MASTER device and one SLAVE device on the same IDE channel. If your computer has the cable Select Option, make sure the drive you want to be the MASTER is on the end of the cable. NOTE: Your new DVD-ROM Drive jumpers are set in the MASTER position and will not need to be changed.

Symptom

......Drive not detected by PC (I think this is my problem, but have not clue what this means)

Possible Cause.....System contains old drivers/software

Self Diagnostic & Repair..

Check your IDE bus controller so that both channels are enabled.

Symptom...

Drive seen as CD-ROM drive but not as DVD-ROM drive

Possible Cause..DVD-ROM not loaded. Drive not detected in Windows environment as DVD-ROM drive.

Self Diagnostic & Repair...

Check & make sure most recent drivers are loaded..

Check our software website for your drive support.

Symptom

....Transfer rate lower than specification

Possible Cause..Windows Setting incorrect.

Self Diagnostic & Repair....

Check DMA setting. It must be enabled. Click/start/Control Panel/Choose/System/Device Manager Tab/Expand CD-ROM/Right mouse click on drive/Select Properties/Select Settings/ Etc.

Make sure DMA Box is checked. Do same if you have other CD drives.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Goldengirl

15.3K Posts

January 27th, 2007 19:00

The GoldenGirl,

Dell uses the Cable Select Jumper settings, not Master/Slave. So if you (they) installed this drive with another Dell factory drive and did not change the jumper, you may have found the source of the problem.
Here is your User Manual for the 2400 serries:
Removing and Adding parts
Please check the jumper, if it is correct you may need to enter the BIOS and verify that the IDE channel is set to Auto and that the drive(s) are turned on.
From the link I gave you above, select "Back to Content", then select the System setup link for information on enter the BIOS.

If the above does not help, you may need to Clear the NVRAM, click on the CD/RW link in my post and scroll to section 11, article 2 for the Dell instructions.

Best Regards

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do
and the eyesight to tell the difference.

CD/RW Link

No Events found!