Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 21st, 2016 08:00

Hard disk drive failure message

I've got a Dell Inspiron One 2020 and just replaced the motherboard to fix a black screen problem. After replacement, It wouldn't boot. I inserted a win 10 bootable USB stick, immediately got a message “Hard-disk drive failure. Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility.”

Does that absolutely mean I have to replace the hard drive or do I some others avenues to explore that may be less traumatic. 

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 23rd, 2016 11:00

The drive controller is part of the mainboard.

You can try the drive on another system to see if it's recognized/readable.  You DO NOT want to try booting it in another system, though.  If it is, the problem is likely with the mainboard.  If it's not, it's the drive.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 22nd, 2016 06:00

First thing to check is that the drive is correctly mounted and connected to the system board.

What caused the mainboard to fail?  Power surge?  Accidental damage due to a knock-over or fall?  If that, was the system powered on when the accident happened?

Does the system setup (F2 at powerup) see the drive?  If it does, is the SATA mode set to the same way it was when you were running the system (AHCI, RAID, etc.)?  What OS is was on the system -- if it was a Dell OEM install, it likely was running in UEFI mode with secure boot ON.  The new mainboard may need to have the SATA and UEFI parameters reset to the way the system was running in order to boot the drive.

219 Posts

September 22nd, 2016 09:00

First thing to check is that the drive is correctly mounted and connected to the system board.

Yeah, that was my first thought. I went back in, removed and carefully reinstalled, making sure everything seemed right. Same Hard disk drive message after reassembly.

What caused the mainboard to fail?  Power surge?  Accidental damage due to a knock-over or fall?  If that, was the system powered on when the accident happened?

I have absolutely no idea. One day it just wouldn't restart. All I got was a black screen. The consensus seemed to be that I had a motherboard issue. Changing the motherboard solved the black screen issue, but on trying to boot for the first time, I got the Hard drive failure message. That makes the motherboard settings seem like a distinct possibility.

Does the system setup (F2 at powerup) see the drive?  If it does, is the SATA mode set to the same way it was when you were running the system (AHCI, RAID, etc.)?  What OS is was on the system -- if it was a Dell OEM install, it likely was running in UEFI mode with secure boot ON.  The new mainboard may need to have the SATA and UEFI parameters reset to the way the system was running in order to boot the drive.

Here's the story of what's happened so far.

Turned on computer for first time after System board replacement. Dell logo came up and I pressed F12, specified the Win 10 bootable USB stick, and hit Enter. Got the 4 small blue window logo in the middle of the screen with the racing dots below for a few minutes, then nothing. Screen was black. Never got any messages of any sort. The hard drive light was on solid, not blinking for 10 minutes or so. I interpreted that to mean the HDD was receiving power but was not responding. Then, it started blinking at about 60 Hz, not the normal irregular blinking, still no visible progress, no messages, black screen. Turned computer off after about an hour of no change.

Turned computer on again, got the Dell logo and pressed F12 to specify the Optical drive which contained a Repair Disk. Got message “Hard-disk drive failure. Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility.” This was the first time I’d seen that message. I selected F2. Changed boot order to boot from Internal ODD. Exited setup. Got a Recovery screen. “Your PC/Device needs to be repaired. The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors. File:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD. Error code: oxc0000185. You’ll need to use recovery tools If you don’t have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer.” Exited Setup, got same exact Recovery screen. Shut down. Turned on computer, got Dell logo but never got F2/F12 options. Came back with same “Hard disk drive failure” message as before. Removed Repair Disk. Shut down.

Inserted Win 10 bootable installation USB stick. Restarted PC. Selected F2 during startup, changed first boot device to USB, saved and exited. Got 4 small blue window logo with racing dots. Got same results as before. Turned off PC after the solid hard drive light started blinking.

The original system was Dell OEM settings. I don't know what they were, but I'm using another stock Dell system, so I can try duplicating those settings in the event they're different. I'll post back after trying that, but meanwhile if anything I provided in that data dump above sheds any new light, please reply. Thanks, I appreciate your help (cause I'm in way over my head :emotion-1:)

219 Posts

September 22nd, 2016 11:00

Well, that was a lot tougher than I expected. The setup menus are somewhat different. The computer I'm on is an A03 BIOS, the new motherboard is an A05. Well, any way the BIOS in the new motherboard (new BIOS) Lists SATA Information for SATA 1 and SATA 2.  SATA 1 is Empty, SATA 2 is ODD. There is no SATA 0 listed. There is no mention anywhere of the HDD. BIOS for the machine I'm using shows the HDD P/N in SATA 0. I didn't see UEFI mentioned anywhere on either machine, so maybe I just missed it.

219 Posts

September 22nd, 2016 12:00

....... What OS is was on the system -- if it was a Dell OEM install, it likely was running in UEFI mode with secure boot ON.  The new mainboard may need to have the SATA and UEFI parameters reset to the way the system was running in order to boot the drive.

OK, I found UEFI on the new motherboard BIOS settings. Secure boot control is enabled and the Boot Mode is UEFI. If those are the normal Dell OEM settings, then I'm sure that's what the original motherboard had.( I wouldn't have changed the BIOS of the original system).

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 22nd, 2016 14:00

Check to make sure the drive is connected to the mainboard - it looks like it is not.  If it is connected, and was working before but isn't now, there are two possibilities:  a coincidental drive failure or that the replacement board has a bad SATA controller.

219 Posts

September 23rd, 2016 05:00

OK. I’ll check it again, but I really feel quite confident that’s not the problem. I don’t know that it was working before. I might have lost it when I got hit with the black screen problem. I’m leaning toward the HDD as the culprit. The vendor that sold me the motherboard swore that it was pulled from a unit that had a broken display and that it worked with a different display when it was removed (for what all that’s worth),

Why do you say it looks like it’s not connected? Because BIOS doesn’t show a SATA 0? Or because of the 0xc0000185 error? Or the solid HDD LED for an extended time followed by a steady blinking? Or…..??? What clue seemed most significant to you?

Could I pull the HDD out and simply plug it in as a secondary drive in my desktop, to see if it works? Would the fact that it contains an OS be a problem? Would the fact that it might be bad possibly create a problem in my desktop? Would that be a smart thing to do? Or not? I don’t want to mess up a second computer screwing around with this one.

Thanks. I appreciate your assistance.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 23rd, 2016 07:00

The hard drive isn't seen - meaning either it or the controller is bad.

Did you ever remove the hard drive from the system to see if it would complete its powerup self test before you replaced the mainboard?  If you didn't, given your description, I have a feeling it wasn't the mainboard that was bad -- but the hard drive. 

219 Posts

September 23rd, 2016 09:00

The hard drive isn't seen

Is that the missing SATA 0 that tells you that?

meaning either it or the controller is bad.

Is the controller an integral part of the motherboard, or is it replaceable?

Did you ever remove the hard drive from the system to see if it would complete its powerup self test before you replaced the mainboard?

No

If you didn't, given your description, I have a feeling it wasn't the mainboard that was bad -- but the hard drive.

What's your thinking about my suggestion to install the hard drive in my good computer as a second drive?

219 Posts

September 23rd, 2016 13:00

OK, thanks. Appreciate all your advice.

219 Posts

September 29th, 2016 20:00

.........................Did you ever remove the hard drive from the system to see if it would complete its powerup self test before you replaced the mainboard?  If you didn't, given your description, I have a feeling it wasn't the mainboard that was bad -- but the hard drive. 

Hi ejn. Just a quick followup..........I replaced the hard drive, Worked like a champ. Installed Win 10 from a USB. Then I reinstalled the original motherboard, got the same black screen failure mode that started my whole endeavor. Put the new motherboard back in, and all's good. So, for whatever reason, both the motherbopard and hard drive required replacement. Who'd a thunk it. Well, all's good now. Thanks for your help. Appreciate it.
No Events found!