Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

July 13th, 2006 14:00

Dell Hard Drive Replacement

I have just had my Hard Drive replaced and when i got it back it was BLANK.

I eventually accepted this, but when i go to open itunes, it fails.
I emailed Dell about this and found that they said that it needs replacing AGAIN!!!

This time, i want a pre-installed hard drive.

Will Dell Let me? I hate the blank ones!

Also, is the Fan in my computer supposed to raise slightly when CPU usae rises? When it goes down, the fan goes back to normal. If it is normal, is it supposed to be the bottom fan on my 9150 and not the Middle fan? The middle fan stays the same speed!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 13th, 2006 18:00

Andy500

Can't help with the type of hard drive, Dell sends you.  This you will have to directly address this, with Dell's Technical Support.

If you are refering to the case/processor fan on the front of the case, then that's normal for the speed to be variable.    A thermal sensor is in the fan and it will slow down or speed up according to the temperature of the air passing through the fan.

There's also, a power supply fan and possibly a graphics card fan on the back panel.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim9150/en/sm/techov.htm#wp1053345

Bev.

July 13th, 2006 20:00

I have heard of people receiving preloaded drives from Dell, but they also have advanced warranties that do this too. I personally don't recommend cloned drives anyway, cause when one backup has an issue, they will ALL have this issue and you are AGAIN paying for the issue.

You may have to play with burning CD backups of all your music and programs? DVD burners are very cheap now. I recommend the LG drive at DIT computers nationwide. For $60, it can burn ANY TYPE of DVD (both + and -), all types of DVD-RAM disks and all types of regular CDs.

I may have lots of data on my computer hard drives, but I also have all of it backed up to a CD or DVD as well as the hard drive, so if the drives dies one day, I can easily restore this data at my convenience.

156 Posts

July 18th, 2006 16:00

Thank you all for your help. I had an engineer to call round and have a look at my computer. He explained about the fan at the bottom speeding up.

I have just asked dell about a preinstalled hard drive.

Hope they say YES!

Thanks All!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 18th, 2006 17:00

Andy500

Great.    :smileyhappy:

Bev.

156 Posts

July 20th, 2006 17:00

Good News!

Dell phoned me today and had said that they will send me a preloaded hard drive!!!
I have a feeling it will not be the hard drive that are put in new computers, but i will have to wait and see! Ill let you know how i got on!

Also, because we are having extreme weather here in the UK, is it normal for the computer fan to rev up slightly because of the heat? It is about 32 Degrees in the room WITHOUT the computer running and after 3 mins of it running the fan starts to kick in!

Ill inform you on the latest as i get it!

Thank you all for your help!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 20th, 2006 18:00

Andy500

It's great that Dell is sending a pre-imaged hard drive.

Yes, it's normal for the fan to speed up and down, according to the temperature demands of the system. As you are having 90*+- weather, try to keep the CPU in a well ventilated space, not in an enclosed cupboard.

Bev.

Ps.  A 90* summer's day is considered cool, where I live.

4 Posts

July 23rd, 2006 21:00

Hi Andy500

When you contacted Dell UK, how did you go about doing so?  Was it via email or telephone.

My harddrive crashed on my 3100 and would not boot, kept saying something about a driver not being present.  Not having any literature to read up regarding the Symantec Reinstall procedure, as it was a pdf file on the PC (no good when PC won't boot) and also not having any reinstallation cd's I tried to do a full reinstall from another copy of Windows XP SP2 I got with my 2400.  Only I did not know it was an SATA HD and when I performed a full erase of my HD it must have deleted everything including my SATA drivers and now I get a blue screen telling me windows had to terminate as my hard drive is corrupt! After reading on the internet it states you have to install the SATA drivers on a floppy disc before trying to install win xp, yet my PC like countless others has no floppy drive.

I feel this is very lacklustre of Dell not to provide all the equipment necessary with a new pc.  With my older 2400 I got manuals, operating system cd and resource cd with drivers etc, yet with this one I got nothing.  I have emailed their customer services but as yet received no reply.  Does anyone have any more advice?

Thanks in advance for any info regarding this problem.

Message Edited by escapee on 07-23-200605:47 PM

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 23rd, 2006 23:00

escapee

See if this can help,

If you are under warranty, contact Dell and request the Dell XP reinstallation CD.

Bev.

156 Posts

July 24th, 2006 16:00

Hi escapee!

Sorry for being slow replying!!!

When i contacted Dell UK, i had emailed them. I took them a little while to reply, but this way i cannot get angry with them. Also, with email, you have a bigger chance of getting a replacement. It took them a little while to get a preloaded one but it does work.

If you have no look through email, then you can chat to a dell tech!

I have tried using this but i have been blocked from it because i got really angry with them. I am still apologising to them and asking them to put me back on.

Hope this helps!

Andy500.

4 Posts

July 24th, 2006 19:00

Thanks Andy500

I know what you mean about getting angry with them, the only couple of occasions I have had the misfortune to 'speak live' with Dell representitives they both came via India and had, what seemed little comprehension of the English language.

I still have had no reply to my email but its only been around 4 days or so, I will give it a week and try alternate methods.

Thank you both for your replies!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 24th, 2006 19:00

Andy500

Great that you received the imaged drive.  Usually when Dell bans you, for "unruly behaviour", you stay banned. You should read the "Terms of Service" at the top of this page.

Bev.
No Events found!