Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

September 9th, 2003 20:00

DVD region codes

when trying to play DVDs from UK a message
appeared saying that the drive had to change regions and that
would have only 3 more times to change it before one region
would become permanent.  Natural thinking would suggest that this is a code free DVD right?  I mean it can play in US and UK, why would it choose regions and why permanently?  Why can't it just play anywhere? Does anybbody have any info on this?

3.1K Posts

September 10th, 2003 18:00

Robert,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

DVD region codes are a provision in the DVD Specification that requires DVD players to be hard-coded to accept DVDs that is only meant to be played within one of six designated world regions. A Code 1 disc cannot be played in a Code 3 DVD player for example. This technique was developed to enable Hollywood companies to release movies at different times in different regions.

To my knowledge, the Dell DVD player is not region free.  You have five opportunities to change the region code before the region is saved permanently.  The only fix to this would be a firmware update from us or the manufacturer of the drive itself.  The DVD regions are defined as:

Region 1 - 1: U.S., Canada, U.S. Territories
Region 2 - Japan, Europe, South Africa, and Middle East (including Egypt)
Region 3 - Southeast Asia and East Asia (including Hong Kong)
Region 4 - Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, Mexico, South America, and the Caribbean
Region 5 - 5: Eastern Europe (Former Soviet Union), Indian subcontinent, Africa, North Korea, and Mongolia
Region 6 - Peoples Republic of China
Region 7 - Reserved
Region 8 - Special international venues (airplanes, cruise ships, etc.)

September 23rd, 2003 07:00

I just received my new 8500, popped in a DVD to see the wide screen in action and received the message that this was my LAST region code change available.

I am in Australia, the DVD is currently set to US and I only have one change left. Considering that my job requires me to travel frequently to other countries and stay there for months at a time, I am less than impressed that DELL never told me about this protection. I am even far less than impressed that I have only one change available on a brand new machine. It cost a pretty penny and, I must admit, is a rather funky laptop.

I cannot locate firmware updates to rid my DVD player of this change thing and am loath to actually use the DVD as I fear the thing will be useless when I go overseas next month.

Can I return my Latitude and get my money back ?

Or swap out the DVD drive for a non region code one ?

Or is there a firmware update available ?

2.6K Posts

September 23rd, 2003 18:00

Unimpressed by protection,

Thank you for using Dell's Community Forum.

Unfortunately, there is not a firmware update that I know of that will make your DVD drive region free.

If you wish to discuss returning your computer for that reason, you would need to post that type of question on our customer care forums.

1 Message

January 11th, 2004 21:00

Is there a way once switched to a non-US Region Code 1 to copy the movie DVDs onto a DVD CD with a Region Code of 1 and will it then play in the US Region?  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Maria

No Events found!