Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 1st, 2004 15:00

Can't burn CD with iTunes

I have a brand new Dell 8,300 with a NEC DVD+RW-2100AD. I have confirmed after about 4 hours of communicaiton on Apple's iTunes forum and iPod forum that this drive won't work in burning CD's with iTunes. The NEC 1100 doesn't pose a problem. Also, I'm able to burn CD's with iTunes using my Dell Insperion laptop, and can also do it with my wife's Toshiba laptop. This is a specific problem with Dell's NEC 2100 drive. Multipe uses in the iTunes forum have posted a problem with this drive.

Is Dell aware of this?

Will Dell release a firmware update to resolve the problem?

thanks

2 Posts

March 14th, 2004 21:00

I've got the exact same problem, with the same drive.  In fact I found your posting by searching for a solution.  Whenever I try to burn a CD using iTunes, I get the following error:

"The attempt to burn a disc failed.  An unknown error occurred (2131)."

I am able to burn CDs without any problems using Roxio Easy CD Creator. But I'd much rather use iTunes if possible because it is so much more convenient for sorting music and creating playlists, etc.

Dell, can you help us??

3 Posts

March 30th, 2004 04:00

I have the same problem.  These drives will not work with iTunes!!!

211 Posts

April 4th, 2004 18:00

@Chris Edmond wrote:

I have a brand new Dell 8,300 with a NEC DVD+RW-2100AD. I have confirmed after about 4 hours of communicaiton on Apple's iTunes forum and iPod forum that this drive won't work in burning CD's with iTunes. The NEC 1100 doesn't pose a problem. Also, I'm able to burn CD's with iTunes using my Dell Insperion laptop, and can also do it with my wife's Toshiba laptop. This is a specific problem with Dell's NEC 2100 drive. Multipe uses in the iTunes forum have posted a problem with this drive.

Is Dell aware of this?

Will Dell release a firmware update to resolve the problem?

thanks

Hi Chris Edmond,

iTones and iPod is only for the Mac computer's. PC compter's use windows media player and realone player for burning CD's.

3 Posts

April 4th, 2004 21:00

Brandon,

Sorry, but you are wrong!!!  I know several PC users that use the itunes windows version to burn their music.  It works on my other computer just not on my brand new Dell.

Phil

Message Edited by williap on 04-04-2004 03:31 PM

2 Posts

April 27th, 2004 03:00

I can confirm that:

• iTunes is completely supported under Windows.
  • My Dimension 4600 hosted NEC DVD+CD/RW 2100-AD will not burn a CD from the iTunes application.
  • The drive will burn a CD fine from Easy CD.
  • The error code is exactly as reported elsewhere in this forum (something about unknown error 2131).

Add me to the growing list of customers that would love to hear about a firmware update that fixes the mysterious problem. (Or iTunes update, not that Dell can do anything about that except perhaps nudge the Apple engineering staff. It does stand to reason that if Easy CD can burn, then it is doing something right with the existing driver.)

3 Posts

April 29th, 2004 03:00

The newest version if iTunes 4.5 fixes the burn issue.

Phil

2 Posts

April 30th, 2004 20:00

Downloaded 4.5 and burning issues are resolved!

Thanks Phil!

2 Posts

December 16th, 2006 14:00

Did you ever get an answer to this question?  I have a Dell 2350 with CD and DVD burner and I can burn audio CDs using Itunes no problem.  But when I try to burn DVDs with Itunes (since you can fit 5 times more stuff on those discs), Itunes doesn't recognize my DVD drive. 

Does anyone know the answer?

1 Message

November 6th, 2007 05:00

This seems to be a huge problem, I could burn on iTunes with the original drive in my inspiron 600m but when I installed a replacement drive I get the dreaded error 2131. I found much discussion at this link.  http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1068415&tstart=0 I hope it is resolved. I was better off with the 60 bucks and a broken drive.

59 Posts

November 29th, 2007 12:00

Hi, all.

I believe NEC drives has been end of life. If you are having iTunes issue with TSST TS-L632H DVDRW. Dell has just released the firmware to resolve it today. This is working fine using iTunes 7.5

Fixes and Enhancements - Fixed the iTunes issue with "The attempt to burn a disc failed. An unknown error occurred (2131) when you tried to burn playlist to disc for blank CD-R media.
- Fixed the region code error for DVD movie playback.
No Events found!