Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

January 22nd, 2004 02:00

S-Video / RGB Cable Max length?

Hey

Im running my 2200mp in my basement and i love it when im using the RGB inputs from either my dvd player or computer, but when i install it im concerned about the lenght of the cable run.

Has anyone had any experience with running sVideo or RGB over lengths say 50'? And if so whats this going to do to the image clarity?

Thanks

2.5K Posts

January 22nd, 2004 11:00

Tem84,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.
The article I found states all cables should be no longer then 5 feet.
But, it also states it depends on your cable quality.
If you are using high quality cables, then the signal degradation should be minimal.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
How Cable Lengths May Affect Image Quality:
The standard length of a VGA/Video cord is 1.5 meters (4.9 feet).
When the projector is ceiling mounted, the specification for these cables are all 5 meters (16.4 feet).
With any cable length longer than these specifications, the image quality may degrade.
The most notable artifact is a double image. With high quality cables, it may be possible to use cables up to 10 meters (32.8 feet) long.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

January 22nd, 2004 19:00

I'm using a 50' s-video cable and a 25' vga cable (for HD) with my 2200mp and I cannot tell the difference!

25 Posts

January 23rd, 2004 00:00

To answer your question, I just connected a 50' vga cable, that it connected to a passive selector switch which is connected to a HDTV cable box. The picture looks as good as my usual 25' cable. I am using high quality triple shielded cables.

23 Posts

April 22nd, 2004 23:00

Where did you get the 50' S video cable from?  The local Radioshack had only 12 ' cable and suggested I  buy two of these and use a connector to get 24'

Also are component video cables available in 25, or longer measurements?

Thanks for your help.

Raj

22 Posts

April 27th, 2004 23:00

Try:

www.crutchfield.com - search on "component video cable" "composite video cable" "s-video cable". They have lengths up to 50 feet

www.pcconnection.com - do same search. They have composite, component, and s-video up to 50 feet.

No Events found!