Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

CJ

October 8th, 2006 00:00

don't know which Microsoft Office software to purchase

I need help.  I m not the smartest when it comes to computer.  I'm needing to add Word, Powerpoint and Outlook to my inspiron B130.  I'm looking at purchasing Mircosoft Office standard.  What's the different, (beside the price :smileysurprised:) from the upgraded one and the not upgraded.   Which one do I need to purchase?

Thanks
Carla Jane

326 Posts

October 8th, 2006 01:00

When you go to buy Microsoft Office you get a choice of Full Version
or an Upgrade Version .. you can use the Upgrade only if Office is already
installed, say you have Office 2000 and now want Office 2007

Otherwise you need to buy the Full Version for the first installation.

October 8th, 2006 01:00

Next question....where is the best place to purchase software?  I've been checking the prices at Best Buy, Staples, Office Depot, and online.

Thanks in advance
Carla Jane

326 Posts

October 8th, 2006 12:00

I would check the major retailers you have listed
Compare prices for the Same Product (UPC code)
In most areas, Best Buy is more expensive than Staples
or Office Depot .. If you buy online, check with Microsoft
to be sure the store website is a Legit Authorized Dealer.

Places like newegg.com are reliable and in some cases
may offer a better price than a local store.

274 Posts

October 8th, 2006 14:00

A cheap alternative to Office Standard is to purchase the Office Student & Teacher Edition. It comes with Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel. It can be legally installed on three different computers. Going retail price is around $125 and can be purchased at most retailers or warehouse stores like Costco or Sam's. You do not have to be a student or a teacher to purchase this software, and it is all full version.

October 8th, 2006 17:00

Okay, so are you saying the Student/Teacher and the standard 2003 office are just alike?  I have found a good price on VioSoftware.com.  Their full version of Microsoft Office standard 2003 is $199.75.  Have you purchased from VioSoftware? 

Carla Jane

326 Posts

October 8th, 2006 18:00

I have not used that company as of now. Some of their prices
look great, others somewhat high. I would double check with
Microsoft to be sure they are an Authorized Distributor. If they
say they are, fine. You do not want to end up with counterfeit
software or license issues later on.

Reviews at Pricegrabber.com seem good .. 4 stars and
all good reviews about excellent service, price & legit products

Message Edited by 85rx-7se on 10-08-2006 03:17 PM

October 8th, 2006 18:00

If I purchase the student/teacher Microsoft office standard 2003,  later if I need to upgrade I'll need to upgrade with the student/teacher version?

Thanks
Carla Jane

274 Posts

October 8th, 2006 20:00

Carla Jane,

Office Student & Teacher Edition is exactly like Office Standard -- except that "technically" you have to have a student in your home or you have to be a teacher to use it. Microsoft, however, does not really enforce that, and they do not require that you show proof of that to purchase the software (I'm a teacher and I remember when I used to have to show detailed documentation of my employment to get the discount).

The programs are the exact same; however, the CD is labeled that it is the "Student & Teacher Edition". No matter, though, as I have purchased both the Standard and the Student & Teacher editions and can tell you that they are one and the same, other than one very important difference: the Student & Teacher Edition will allow you to legally install the software on three computers, whereas on the Standard edition, you can only legally install it on one (you never know when it will come in handy to be able to install it on more than just one).

Can't comment on the upgrade part of your question, though. I'm still working with version 2003 (still works great). Come time for me to move up a notch, I will plunk down the price for the entire new version, because IMHO it always pays to have "full versions" of software vs. upgrades (you never know when your hard drive will crash or you decide to purchase a new PC, and who wants to install the old version, then the new version upgrade?).

Mary :)

Message Edited by txtchr on 10-08-2006 07:22 PM

October 8th, 2006 23:00

Mary,
Thank you so much!! You have been a  "BIG" help.  I'm so glad I found this place.

I'm sure  "I'll be back"

Carla Jane

274 Posts

October 9th, 2006 00:00

Carla Jane,

You're welcome! That's what we are all here for -- to help each other out in times of need.

Good luck :)

Mary :)
No Events found!