Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 8th, 2006 17:00

MS Outlook Toolbars

I use MS Outlook as my Email Manager and it's been working perfectly for a couple of years.  That's until I went on vacation and the temp played around with something!  Now there are commands/tools that are gone (inert table into body of email, superscript & subscript, print preview, inserting a ruler) & my signatures are now double spaced.  I've tried everything to get them back including a restore and resetting toolbars but nothing works.  I can't even find the super & sub scripts in a tool bar. 

Does anyone have any ideas short of canceling my next vacation?  :womansad:    

274 Posts

August 8th, 2006 18:00

With a new message window open in Outlook, make sure your cursor is in the body (message) window. You will then be able to pull down the Tools menu, choose Customize, then choose the Commands tab. Now you have all the options available to customize your toolbar (just like in Word). For instance, to add the icon for inserting a table, click on Table in the left window, then single click in the right window the Insert Table icon. Drag and drop the icon onto your toolbar (placing it wherever you want). Follow the same procedure for any icon (shortcut) you want to put on your toolbar.

15 Posts

Thanks for your reply.  I have tried exactly that but what is strange is that the icons for the super script/sub script & insert table aren't in any of the commands for me to drag & drop.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

Did you try the "detect and repair" option in Outlook (it's in the Help dropdown menu).  You will need the installation CD for this function.

15 Posts

August 8th, 2006 19:00

Yeah, I tried that this morning and reinstalled.  Still can't find them.

274 Posts

August 8th, 2006 20:00

Let's try another method. You should have a toolbar already showing when you open a new message that has on the toolbar items like your font, formatting of the font, centering options, etc. (this is your formatting toolbar). Move your mouse cursor to the far right part of that particular toolbar. It should be a darker hue (usually blue) and if single-left clicked, it will show a drop-down menu with two choices (Show Buttons on One Row or Add or Remove Buttons). Choose the Add or Remove Buttons option, then Formatting, and you'll see that Subscript and Superscript is there. You can place a check mark next to each one individually (you'll have to do it twice to get each one) and they should show up on your toolbar.

The Insert Table icon is located in the drop-down menu (as described above) on the Standard toolbar options (that's the toolbar that has Open, Save, E-Mail, Print, etc. on it).

Give that a try. See if that works.

15 Posts

August 9th, 2006 11:00

Thanks for your ideas & patience!  I tried that yesterday and again this morning......neither of the Scripts or the Insert Table appear as options in either the Standard or Formatting Toolbar Options.  They have totally disappeared!  I still have them in WORD but not in Outlook. 

274 Posts

August 10th, 2006 00:00

I'm stumped! Other than going through the Tools, Customize, Toolbars, Reset option, I would call your IT person to reinstall Outlook back to its default settings. Obviously this temp that came in really knew how to mess things up (and believe me, I've had a few students who could do the same thing, and they were only 15!) Sorry, I'm depleted of all ideas. Maybe there is someone else who could jump in here and help out. Good luck!

2 Intern

• 

4.4K Posts

August 12th, 2006 18:00

I think your problem is that Word has not been selected as the editor in Outlook Tools, options, mail format tab.

I don't normally have Word selected as email editor and don't have the buttons your'e missing in Outlook. However when I checked the box use Microsoft Word to edit email messages, then opened a new message in Outlook, there was a brief message to the effect: setting Word as your editor, then all those buttons appeared. in the new message toolbar :-)

PS most of them are not active if you select plain text, of course, but they are for Rich text or HTML

Message Edited by JRosenfeld on 08-12-200608:13 PM

15 Posts

August 14th, 2006 11:00

BINGO!  Thanks for that recommendation!!  I had briefly looked at that last week but did not notice that HTML was not checked.  Checked HTML and I have all my fonts back.  Thanks again!!

No Events found!