Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 29th, 2012 18:00

Dell Support Center - multiple problems after update

Following automatic update to Dell Support Center Version: 3.2.6032.47 the middle tray button on my Dell Inspiron 15R (N5110) no longer launches the application. Program can be started via Start > All Programs > Dell Support Center but stutters when using some features and becomes completely unresponsive if I attempt to modify any preferences in the settings menu.

I've already tried uninstalling/reinstalling Support Center several times, repairing/uninstalling/reinstalling QuickSet, deleting orphaned folders and removing/changing registry settings as suggested in another post, all without success as the same problems persist.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and all other Dell drivers and software are up to date.

62 Posts

September 4th, 2012 08:00

SODIMM,

An update will be published this week to reenable the QuickSet functionality of launching Dell Support Center via the Media button.  If you have chosen to receive updates automatically, this update should be applied no later than Monday 9/10.

113 Posts

August 29th, 2012 22:00

Hi,

The issue seems to be with the shortcut icon on the desktop. Creating another shortcut of the application should take care of the issue.

To create a shortcut:

1. Click “Start”.
  2. Click “All Programs”.
  3. Right click “Dell Support Center”, click on “Send To” and then Click on “Desktop (Create shortcut)”.

Please let me know if this helps.

3 Posts

August 30th, 2012 04:00

Thanks for the response Sudeep, but your proposed solution does not relate to the problems described.

Just to be clear...

1. The dedicated Dell Support Center hardware button located above the keyboard on N5*** models still lights up when pressed but no longer launches the application following update to Version: 3.2.6032.47 
  2. Dell Support Center Version: 3.2.6032.47 can still be run from the All Programs list, but becomes unresponsive when changes to the application's settings menus are applied, requiring forced closure via Task Manager

Looking at a few recent forum threads it seems other Dell owners are experiencing similar problems. I've already tried the solutions recommended elsewhere without success, as noted in my original post.

Is this a software compatibility issue or can someone point me towards an obvious solution?

113 Posts

September 1st, 2012 01:00

Hi,

The solution I provided earlier would have solved the issue with the shortcut icon on the Desktop. To fix the issue with the Dell Support Center Media Launch Button, update the Chipset driver and Quickset.

The link to download the Chipset driver is:

http://j.mp/Chipset_driver

The link to download the Quickset is:

http://j.mp/Quickset

Please uninstall the Quickset and Dell Support Center using third party uninstaller software. Here is a link to download one.

http://j.mp/Revo-uninstaller

Install the software and uninstall the Quickset and Dell Support Center using the Advanced Uninstall option from the Revo Uninstaller software.

The software prompts asking you to delete the Registry keys corresponding to the printer driver. Select all and delete them.

Restart the computer to remove any traces of the software.

Download the Dell Support Center from the link below.

http://j.mp/Dell-Support-Center

Now, reinstall the Quickset and the Dell Support Center performing the steps below.

1. Click the above mentioned link.
  2. Click Download File.
  3. Save the file to the Desktop.
  4. Double-Click the downloaded file and click “Run”.
  5. Follow the onscreen instructions and complete the installation.

Please let me know if this helps.

3 Posts

September 1st, 2012 14:00

As stated in the original post, I am already using the most recent Dell software and drivers (including BIOS, Dell System Software, Intel chipset drivers, QuickSet64 etc).

I resolved the issues with program responsiveness by completing the uninstallation of Dell Support Center manually, deleting orphan files from %ProgramData% and %AppData% folders and HKLM\SOFTWARE\PC-Doctor registry key. After reinstallation Version 3.2.6032.47 now runs from the "All Programs" list without any problems.

However, the Dell Support Center media launch button still does not start the application. I have already tried uninstalling QuickSet64 and ensuring complete removal of all components before reinstallation.

Is there a registry key missing from the latest software update that I can create manually to restore button functionality?

62 Posts

September 28th, 2012 21:00

Javier,

This updated was published on 9/10 as promised.  You can verify the udpate has been applied by clicking the settings icon (looks like a cog or gear) and then click About.  The latest version is 3.2.6032.55.

September 28th, 2012 21:00

Hi Micah.

What happened with the announced update? It has been almost 3 weeks since you offered that update and there has been no news yet. Any chance to get it soon?

Regards

September 29th, 2012 04:00

My bad Micah, you are completely right. The button now works at it should. Sorry for not checking it earlier and properly. Best regards.

2 Posts

October 13th, 2012 04:00

I had the same problem, no longer. Thanks to Micah and Sudeep.

No Events found!