Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 24th, 2008 15:00

Where to buy a replacement part for a printer?

Our office needs a new paper support for our Dell 922. The little plastic part that holds it on the back of the printer broke off and even though we've tried gluing it and coming up with other ways to keep it on just to hold up the paper so it doesn't jam - we haven't had much luck, and if we do it's doesn't last very long. Every few times after fixing it, it jams back up again and screws everything up, and since this is a Law Office, it's acceptable every so often, but constantly? We just don't have time for it.

The printer is a few years past warrantee, but other than the little paper support breaking off there is nothing wrong with - no problems at all, making it a bit silly to go out and buy a whole other printer. Where can we purchase a new part? I am having a hard time finding replacement parts - only upgrades and accessories which we don't need. I can't imagine it's that hard to get one, it's just a simple piece of plastic, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2 Posts

June 24th, 2008 18:00

How do I check Dell spare parts? I checked eBay and couldn't find much, not for what I need anyways. =/ I will check Lexmark, thank you.

Seriously though, having to throw away a printer for this is ridiculous. What a waste of everything - money, materials, time, and other resources. I wish we were more avid recyclers/reusers in this country. Worst comes to worse I will buy a different kind of super glue and see if that works, because we're not going to throw out a perfectly good printer for something so insignificant! I just thought that maybe there was an easier way to do this rather than seeing if we can put humpty dumpty back together again.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 24th, 2008 18:00

If Dell spare parts does not have what you need, one option is to buy a used one off of e-bay and use the used one for parts.  Unfortunately, unless the unit is under warranty there isn't very much hope for repairs, they become "throwaway" items like most computer components.  

One other thought, since the Dell's are made by Lexmark, a Lexmark repair center MAY have a part that will work.  Check the Lexmark web site for any repair centers close to you.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 25th, 2008 17:00

It has been that way for many years in the computer industry, they can manufacture new for less cost than repairing.  In the 80's we had IBM 3270 computer terminals in our offices (this was a large nationwide Federal Government Agency) and if there was a keyboard malfunction (bad key on the keyboard) it was less expensive for IBM to replace the keyboard and throw the defective one away then it was to repair (replace the defective key switch) the unit.  A new keyboard, at the time, cost IBM $26, just the logistics of packing it up and shipping it to a repair center was more than the $26.  It is the same way with equipment today and there is no incentive for manufacturers to stock spare parts, especially given where the devices are made.  Just to stock a (for example) $10 spare plastic part, if it were even ever needed would cost more than the actual part cost.  

I had a good example with a Canon printer.  The plastic "printhead" assembly went bad (Canon has separate ink cartridges for each cartridge and a separate print head that the ink cartridges feed into) and Canon wanted $89.95 for the printhead plus $12 for shipping.  The printer, new, was only $119 and a equivalent new Canon printer was only $129 so there was no reason to spend $100 for a replacement part and then have an "old" printer when a new one could be purchased for $30 more.  As it turned out in this case, I bought a new Epson printer for $89.95 that did everything the Canon did (and the photo printing was better) plus it printed directly on CD/DVD's, a function I needed for my recording studio 

One final comment, If I were using a device in an office environment, I would be buying "commerical office" type equipment, not something that was primarily designed for "consumer/home" use.  "Commerical" lines of equipment generally are higher priced but more reliable and if parts are needed there is a better chance to get them.  This comes from years managing Network and Help Desk and seeing what types of equipment are reliable in commercial office environments and which are not.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 25th, 2008 18:00

I forgot, Dell Spare Parts is HERE

111 Posts

June 26th, 2008 19:00

Are you talking about the dark grey tray that supports the paper or the paper guide that you can adjust side to side to keep the paper straight?

Shogun33

No Events found!