Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 9th, 2009 04:00

Spooler Error

Dell Inspiron 530s running VISTA

Printer: Dell 305w

When I start my computer I get a spooler stopped working error, I searched online and found this solution:

1. Control Panel >Go to Programs and Features > click Turn Windows features on or off

2. click + sign of Print services

3. Select LPD and LPR. You should remove Internet Printing Client. > restart your PC to ensure there is no error of spooler service.

Which I did, but I still have the spooler stopped working error.  I searched Dell communtity, but it appears the solutions are based closely on what computer, operating system, and printer are running. 

I have been using the printer to scan photos. It is directly connected to my computer, but can be used wirelessly with other computers in the home.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Susan

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 16th, 2009 11:00

Susan,

I'm sorry, the other post about a Lexmark Printer had be confused. That's why I have in my signature worded the way I do, but people cannot read.

Let's just see if you have the printer installed correctly.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer.

Un-install your printer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on). Please use a 6ft USB Cable or smaller.

You may also want to try...

How Do I Connect a Dell™ Wireless Printer to a Wireless Network

Choose your printer. Beneath your printer, select your operating system. You'll be redirected to another page. Then click on show all steps. It will walk you through the installation process.

This will also walk you through the installation process and will help you turn the wireless card off if you want to keep it connected with the USB Cable.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 9th, 2009 08:00

Susan,

You can first try hitting the Window Key and the R Key at the same time, this will bring up the run command. Type

services.msc

Hit enter. Look for something that looks like djcj_Service. Make sure it's set for automatic and restart the service. Now go down to Print Spooler and make sure it's set for automatic and restart the service.

See it it's any better. It sounds like you are sometimes losing the communications with the printer. Two quick and simple tweaks for your computer is...

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

--------------------------------------

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager). Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Let me know if this works or if we should try something else. I think the printer, even though it's connected to the computer via USB Cable is still transmitting a signal to your network and that might be the next thing to try.

Rick

1 Message

July 11th, 2009 04:00

Hello,

I am having problems with my print spooler. My PC is a Inspiron 530 and the Printer is a Lexmark 3600-4600 series. When I try to go to control panel and add printer it says that the Printer spooler service is not working wiht the local computer. I've gone to Service and Print Spoole and selcted Automatic and then tried to Start but it will not start.

Have you any advice.

thanks

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 12th, 2009 00:00

gmason7,

If my memory serves me correctly, in services.msc the Lexmark Printer might have something that starts with a L, like lbxm or something close to this. make sure it's set on Automatic and restart the service.

Try running this little program even though it is for deleting print jobs. It has a command to stop the service, delete the print jobs and then restart the service. Right click and run as administrrator if using Vista.

Delete Print Jobs

Also try start, control panel, printers and make sure the printer is set for default and also make sure the printer is online and not offline. If these things fail, then I would recommend that you...

Disconnect the printer, Go to Lexmark's Website (Lexmark 4600) and download the Utility. While you're there, also download the proper drivers and anything else you need.

Run the Utility, I think this is a cleanup tool to remove the printer from the computer.(Since Lexmark makes Dell Printers, I would venture to say you MUST run this on Vista machines)Run as administrator and wait until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on) Please use a 6ft or smaller USB Cable.

Rick

15 Posts

July 16th, 2009 03:00

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the suggestions.

1. I did not find anything like djcj_Service

2. Print Spooler was on automatic, and it said it was started.  I restarted anyway.

3. All of my USB Root Hub had the box unchecked already.

4. Under Device Manager>Network Adapters- I had 2 choices:  Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter (I think this is my wireless) but in properties there is no powermangement tab.  The other choice is: Intel(R) 82562V-210/100 Network Connection PowerManagement choices are: Power Saver and Wake on LAN Options. Reduce ink speed during stanby- checked; Reduce power if cable disconnected- unchecked; Wake on Directed Packet- checked; Wake on Magic Packet- checked; Wake on Magic Packet from power off state- unchecked; Wake on Link- unchecked.

And yes, I do think it is still trying to talk wirelessly, even with the direct connect USB cable in.

Did you say you had more suggestions?

Thanks

Susan

15 Posts

July 16th, 2009 10:00

Thanks I appreciate your time and effort, but I have a Dell 305w not a lexmark.  And I don't really understand the wireless router settings you mentioned, router is from Verizon, and I don't want to turn off the wireless, I use it from other computers.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 16th, 2009 10:00

Susan,

Try using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings in your wireless router. I use channel 11.

Try setting up the printer using Lexmarks instructions for wireless. It's either doing that or reading from Lexmark how to turn off the wireless card.

Rick

15 Posts

July 20th, 2009 04:00

Thank you Rick,

I have completed all the steps, they were clear and easy to follow.  I have scanned 1 picture, since that is what I have done most often, and restarted, I did not get a spooler error this time, so I am hopeful that this solved the problem.  Thank you for your patience and help, it is ppl like you that make the Dell forums work, I have been using them since my first Dell over 10 years ago, and always get helpful advice.  Thanks again. 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 24th, 2009 22:00

Susan,

GREAT JOB! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. Could you mark the verify answer(s) that helped you solve your problem, so if someone else searches the forums, they can see what you did to fix your problem(s).

Thanks,

Rick

No Events found!