Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 5th, 2007 14:00

I recently purchased a HP/Compaq Presario Notebook.  The...

I recently purchased a HP/Compaq Presario Notebook.  The problem I'm having is that I have a Dell AIO 942 printer and we cannot seem to be able to get the computer and printer to communicate.  We have tried numerous things, including uninstalling and reinstalling the printer driver.  My son is in computers and has tried numerous things and nothing.  This new computer was installed with Windows Vista and I've heard that there have been all types of problems with this new system.  So don't know if this a problem with Vista, Dell or Compaq.  If anyone has any suggestions or can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.....

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 5th, 2007 18:00

First, the "problems" with Vista are greatly exaggerated.  There are certain software and hardware incompatibilites, and many of these are the software vendors, not Microsoft issues.  The bigges "problems" are the same "problems" people had when Windows XP came out - they didn't want to learn a new Operating System and could not accept change.

The first thing is to make sure you are using the Dell Vista drivers, not the incompatible XP drivers.  Second, when you install a peripheral (e.g. the 942) you must FIRST run the install program and ONLY when the install program tells you, then physically connect the unit to the PC.  If you connect it first the install will either fail or Vista will install wrong drivers.

Make sure the USB cable you are using is good (either use a known good USB cable or test this cable on a different PC to make sure it's good). 

Next, you may want to use the System Restore function and restore the PC to a date PRIOR to first attempting to install the unit.  This will give you a "clean start" in running the installation. 

There are 3 Dell downloads listed for Vista for this unit.  Click Me

No Events found!